A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Advantages of having Quattro??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2000, 10:47 AM
rgc36537

Default Advantages of having Quattro??

I'm plannning to purchase an A4 1.8T very soon. However, I'm still debating whether or not opting for Quattro will be worth it. What are the advantages of having Quattro in a fairly dry climate (Southern Cali.)? I understand that the Quattro is in excess of 200 lbs heavier than the FWD model and is slightly slower in 0-60/quarter mile. What will I gain from Quattro to offset what is given up in quickness? Thanks.
Old 01-17-2000, 10:53 AM
pete

Default test drive both and you will probably get the Quattro, plus it's relatively inexpensive

besides, it would be difficult to find a quattro owner on this board who wishes they got the front-trac, but MANY wish they had quattro.

99.5 1.8TQMS formerly Neuspeed Pchip (IMO, no es bueno)
Old 01-17-2000, 11:04 AM
J. Daniel

If you do any engine mods, even just a chip, you'll wish you had Quattro. No torque steer! (nt)
Old 01-17-2000, 11:11 AM
Greg Davis

Handling
Old 01-17-2000, 11:20 AM
ChrisR

Default Advantage....

I ended up getting quattro mostly cause I live in the NE and have to deal with the winters.
When I got my 1.8tqms I was wondering if there would be day-to-day differnences between Quattro and FWD. Here are some observations:

For the life of me, I cannot get the tires on my stock (read as no chip) 1.8tqmsx to spin from a full stop in dry or rainy road conditions. Someting I've found easy to do on ANY FWD car I've ever driven. Thats one thing I've always hated about 2WD cars...stepping on the gas at a stop sign and just sitting there as the tires spin on water/sand/etc. Just knowing that you can floor it at a red light in the rain and out accelerate all the cars around you is a great feeling.

Also the car seems alot more stable powering out of corners.

Just some of my observations in addition to the winter benefits. I knew there was no way in hell I would get an Audi without Quattro.

ChrisR
'00 1.8tqmsx

(You also may see that Quattros usually have a higher resale value, tho that is regionally dependent)
Old 01-17-2000, 11:25 AM
DavidG

In total cost of ownership, Quattro is basically free. It raises resale value by its own cost.
Old 01-17-2000, 11:30 AM
Tom

Active safety....
Old 01-17-2000, 12:05 PM
DD

0-30\40 mph time is amazingly quick off the line (nt)
Old 01-17-2000, 01:46 PM
Lance

Default How much slower is the Quattro?

I am in the same situation and am curious how much slower the quattro is then the FWD. I have read reviews that show 0-60 of almost 1.5 seconds slower (Carpoint I believe). Is this accurate?
Old 01-18-2000, 01:24 AM
ChuckH

Only for automatic. manual's are within about a tenth of second. :-)

Quick Reply: Advantages of having Quattro??