A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

After Market Stereo Install Quick Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Market Stereo Install Quick Question

So I've been doing a lot of reading on how to install a aftermarket head unit into my 98 Audi A4 2.8L with the full BOSE system. I've read countless threads/FAQs/guides on how to do it. Though I'm still confused because a lot of the different threads contradict each other.

I understand I'm going to need the speaker harness, and a radio antenna adapter, and the other harness for the rear speakers that run through the stock amp.

I have a Pioneer DXT-2266UB head unit that I bought a few years back for my other car and I wanted to see if I could put it into my Audi because I want to have a USB connection/AUX Port so I can charge/use my phone for music.

Now I'm not very good with car audio since my last car was purely a plug and play with an adapter harness.

If I'm not mistaken my head unit only has one preamp output (Because it has only one set of left and right RCA cables) And in order to get the back two speakers of the A4 Bose system you need to have two preamp outputs? Correct?

If that's the case is there anything I can do with this head unit/wiring to make it work...probably not but Is there a way I could connect my head unit to the factory amp with a direct connection and then rewire the back two speakers to the factory amp? I don't think I'd even attempt that though if I could. I'm just curious to what my options are.

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Anyone? It's like a yes or no question. The main thing I want to know is if my after market headunit has the right pre amp outs, which I don't think it does I just need a clarification.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanic
Anyone? It's like a yes or no question. The main thing I want to know is if my after market headunit has the right pre amp outs, which I don't think it does I just need a clarification.
MEH, spend $100 and get a deck with Front and Back RCA's. You can use the Bose amp with the extra Bose adapter harness .

$20 of parts.

Bose speakers are not the same impedance as standard so if you kluge it it will probably never balance.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AudiMick
MEH, spend $100 and get a deck with Front and Back RCA's. You can use the Bose amp with the extra Bose adapter harness .

$20 of parts.

Bose speakers are not the same impedance as standard so if you kluge it it will probably never balance.

I know the bose spreakers are 2ohms and most aftermarket headunits operate at 4ohms. what would the effect doing this (i know a lot of people do it anyways)

but again would this setup work? I know i should just buy this and that to make it easier but im on a budget and would like to use my headunit that i have currently. Is there any possible damage to my system if i do it this way?
Old 06-07-2013, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I know the bose spreakers are 2ohms and most aftermarket headunits operate at 4ohms. what would the effect doing this (i know a lot of people do it anyways)

but again would this setup work? I know i should just buy this and that to make it easier but im on a budget and would like to use my headunit that i have currently. Is there any possible damage to my system if i do it this way?
Okay since I can't edit my posts...I forgot to post this information,

I've been on another forum asking questions but no one seems to be giving me a final answer and it's been three days,

So If i'm not mistaken the headunit pre amp out is basically taking the audio signal from the head unit and sending it to the amp...so splitting the left RCA into two lefts and the right RCA into two rights is completely fine if I remember correctly? Because only when you merge two auto signals into one is when you lose audio quality?

Can anyone else verify if this will work? So here would be my setup?

I would need to buy, These two wire harness adapters,
Receiver Wiring Harness For select 1994-07 Audi and Porsche vehicles at Crutchfield.com

This radio antenna adapter
Antenna Adapter Works with select 1994-up Volkswagen and Audi vehicles (Motorola male to OEM antenna female) at Crutchfield.com

and some RCA splitters, (Two of these kind of cables)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Qty-2-DB-Link-7-1-Male-to-2-Female-RCA-Audio-Cable-Y-Adapter-Splitter-/290924674666?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item43bc763e6a(Obviously I know that the color coordinated colors on these adapters wont be how I need it to be, because if I plug one of these splitters into the RCA Left pre amp output. I need to plug the two left RCA's from the cable adapter I buy into that splitter..and then plug the second RCA splitter into the RCA Right pre amp output and then plug in the two right RCA's from the cable adapter into that splitter.)
Would that work instead of buying one of those converter box things that are like $40?

And finally I'd need a faceplate adapter I know, but I'm not too worried about that yet.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Okay since I can't edit my posts...I forgot to post this information,

I've been on another forum asking questions but no one seems to be giving me a final answer and it's been three days,

So If i'm not mistaken the headunit pre amp out is basically taking the audio signal from the head unit and sending it to the amp...so splitting the left RCA into two lefts and the right RCA into two rights is completely fine if I remember correctly? Because only when you merge two auto signals into one is when you lose audio quality?

Can anyone else verify if this will work? So here would be my setup?

I would need to buy, These two wire harness adapters,
Receiver Wiring Harness For select 1994-07 Audi and Porsche vehicles at Crutchfield.com

This radio antenna adapter
Antenna Adapter Works with select 1994-up Volkswagen and Audi vehicles (Motorola male to OEM antenna female) at Crutchfield.com

and some RCA splitters, (Two of these kind of cables)
Qty 2 DB Link 7" 1 Male to 2 Female RCA Audio Cable "Y" Adapter Splitter | eBay
(Obviously I know that the color coordinated colors on these adapters wont be how I need it to be, because if I plug one of these splitters into the RCA Left pre amp output. I need to plug the two left RCA's from the cable adapter I buy into that splitter..and then plug the second RCA splitter into the RCA Right pre amp output and then plug in the two right RCA's from the cable adapter into that splitter.)
Would that work instead of buying one of those converter box things that are like $40?

And finally I'd need a faceplate adapter I know, but I'm not too worried about that yet.
There is a good chance that only the line level wiring is in the car the direct speaker wiring maybe not be there. It wasn't on my A4 with Bose.

So you could split the signal to the RCAs.

You almost certainly will need a floating ground isolator, chances are otherwise is will "POP" when you switch inputs on the head unit. Install that before the splitter. A floating ground isolator is not the same as a ground loop isolator.

Audi floats the Bose amp input, normal RCA outputs are grounded on the shield.

If there is an option to turn off the internal amp in the head unit, the sound should be better.

Make sure you power that antenna adapter. Blue wire is the normal convention but the blue / white should work.

Metra makes the best fitting faceplate, you have to trim the AI and Scosche.

Last edited by AudiMick; 06-08-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Why does the whole Audi Bose System have to be so difficult to install a simple head unit haha. So another guy on anther forum said If I do this setup I will lose the ability to balance the front/back fade. Is this true?
But anyways if I order this,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-Radio-Installation-Dash-Kit-Harness-Antenna-PKG180-/270878089000?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f11979f28&vxp=mtrTwo of these,
Amazon.com: RCA AH25 Y-Adaptor Cable: Electronics Amazon.com: RCA AH25 Y-Adaptor Cable: Electronics
And a Floating Ground Isolator I should be good to go to set up my aftermarket head unit that only has one Left and Right RCA preamp output?
Old 06-11-2013, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Why does the whole Audi Bose System have to be so difficult to install a simple head unit haha. So another guy on anther forum said If I do this setup I will lose the ability to balance the front/back fade. Is this true?
But anyways if I order this,
Audi Radio Installation Dash Kit Harness Antenna PKG180 | eBay
Two of these,
Amazon.com: RCA AH25 Y-Adaptor Cable: Electronics
And a Floating Ground Isolator I should be good to go to set up my aftermarket head unit that only has one Left and Right RCA preamp output?
Fade won't work, you are only using one output. That was why I said buy another head unit.

Actually my TT is like this "no fade", Audi wired only the front outputs. Much smaller car however so less annoying.