A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Aftermarket air filter benefits?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-1999, 03:40 PM
BDW

Default Aftermarket air filter benefits?

<br>I've had my 1.8TQM (Sport) for a little over a week. I'm planning on chipping it sometime in the next year. I'm new to this A4 passion/obsession/love affair, but quickly falling victim to this car's many charms. Please excuse if this is a dumb question, but will replacing my stock air filter with a more free breathing aftermarket filter give me any noticeable performance benefits while I ponder the many chip options that are out there? Thanks...
Old 03-01-1999, 04:18 PM
Howard Kim

Default My take...

Hello,<p>This is my take on the air filter debate. You will probably get conflicting opinions, but they are only opinions. What is comes down to is personal preference and personal choice.<p>I have chosen to put in a K&N drop in filter in my 98.5 1.8t. I also have the Neuspeed chip. That is the extent of my engine performance mods.<p>My impressions. I didn't expect a huge performance boost when I added the filter. I added the filter because it is a lifetime product that only needs to be cleaned/recharged at ~30K intervals (according to manuf.). In the long run, the filter pays for itself.<p>When I put the filter in, the car seemed (I stress seemed as it has not been on a dyno) to accelerate smoother. The engine revved very smooth and throttle response was a tad better. At freeway speed (70mph) my car seemed to "breath" better and therefore respond better when I hit the gas.<p>Just my opinion.<p>Howard Kim<br>98.5 A4 1.8tms(neu) and K&N
Old 03-01-1999, 04:28 PM
Steve S.

Default I agree with Howard

I have used K&N filters in my cars for years...some showed big gains...some not so big. <p>Only once difference from Howard's comments...I would clean and reoil the filter element more frequently than 30K miles though. I actually do it about every 7.5K miles.<p>Check out the FAQ on filters...I was the author.<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM
Old 03-01-1999, 06:22 PM
Zsolt

Default Steve S, are you the one with Jamex, DTM, K&N and RamAir?

If so, which one is your favorite and why?<p>Thanx
Old 03-01-1999, 06:49 PM
Steve S.

Default I don't have the DTM...but I got the others

Let see....I have more experience with the K&N...but to lay down the pro's and con's of each filter:<p>Jamex - foam, very expensive - I got it from TAP 1.5 years ago for about $70. It is pretty messy...sounds ok...power seems fine....very hard to clean...the Jamex cleaning stuff is hard to find...I think the TAP distributors sell it, but it is not as easy to find as the K&N cleaning solution and oil.<p>RamAir - weird mesh layers...very very messy...molasses like stuff in the bottom of your airbox. Cost about $50 (I think)...I got mine for free from Wett....power seems fine...very hard to clean...unless you buy the cleaning stuff from Wett or Neuspeed.<p>K&N - paper type stuff under wire mesh....pretty clean compared to RamAir....Cost $39 at Imparts...cleaning stuff easy to find at local auto parts stores....power seems equal to others.<p>My recommendation...go for K&N.<p><br>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM<p>P.S. the usual disclaimer ...I do not work...nor have I ever worked for K&N or any subsidiaries<br>of K&N, nor do I get any compensation from K&N in any way.
Old 03-02-1999, 09:00 AM
Andy Hedin

Minor correction: K&amp;N is actually made of a cotton fabric, not paper
Old 03-02-1999, 09:29 AM
Zsolt

RamAir I got from Neuspeed looks like foam to me....
Old 03-02-1999, 10:11 AM
Isaac Yeung

Default K&N air filter for 1.8t? What's the model #?

Where did you get your K&N air filter? According to K&N, they currently don't make one for the 1.8T. Are you using the one (33-2125) that currently fit the 2.8?