A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Aftermarket suspension & ride comfort

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-1999, 12:38 AM
TL

Default Aftermarket suspension & ride comfort

I have read a lot of archives and found a lot of comments about different suspension set-ups , but one think is still missing. If I lower my car, which aftermarket suspension combination offers best ride comfort i.e near stock?
Old 05-13-1999, 12:49 AM
Kev

Default How much do you want to lower? (more)

The quesiton is really how much do you want to lower your car? Different aftermarket springs have different lowerng approximations and spring rates. I guess if you want to go for a conservative setup, go for Bilstein heavy duty shocks and H&R sport springs. If you want to go all out, try Bilstein sports or Koni sports with H&R race springs or Neuspeed sport springs.<p>Hope this helps<br>Kev
Old 05-13-1999, 04:31 AM
DaveL

Default If ride comfort is more important than the amount of lowering....

then I would recommend getting the OEM sport suspension set up. You'll get a small drop...I think 20mm (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) without a huge compromise in ride comfort. The components include shocks, springs, and F/R sway bars, but if drop is all you're really after you could forgo swapping the sway bars.<p>You can usually find sellers in the classifieds.<p>Dave<br>'97 1.8TQMS wett, eibach/koni<p><br>
Old 05-13-1999, 07:00 AM
ChrisWB

Default forgoing the sway bars...

Someone on this forum (Andy H maybe?) had put in the OEM sport shocks & springs and didn't swap the sway bars, and the car didn't feel right, like it was "floating" or something.<p>Just a word of caution.
Old 05-13-1999, 07:14 AM
Andy Hedin

Default Yup, it was me....

With the stock '97 swaybars and the "Sport" package springs/shocks installed, the rear end felt a bit strange when cornering. Going around a constant-radius curve, the rear felt like it was rotating around (almost like I was going to spin) and then a second or so later it would "grab" and hold the line through the curve....very strange.<p>I then purchased and installed the sport package sway bars (front: 29mm solid bar, rear: 16mm solid bar) and that rotating feeling went away. The car also felt more "solid" and the steering felt a bit "heavier" as well. Worth the money IMHO.<p>Andy Hedin<br>'97 A4 1.8Tqms, Wett 1.0 Bar, ABT Filter, Euro Headlights...
Old 05-13-1999, 07:15 AM
DaveL

Default I did say, "if drop is all you're after" then you could forego...more

I speak from experience as I have an aftermarket set up (Eibach/Konis) with the stock sway bars. The floaty feel you speak of is indeed there, however, it is not worse than when everything was stock, so it's not dangerous or anything. My suggestion was to forego, only if the drop was his main concern.<p>BTW...I personally will be going to the sport sway bars shortly...<p>Dave<br>'97 1.8TQMS wett, eibach/koni<p>
Old 05-13-1999, 09:00 AM
kian

Default Suspension is a must...

If your gonna do anything to your A4 suspension, i think, is a must.. I went with neuspeed springs (2inch drop), blisten adjustable shocks, and nuespeed front and rear sway bars... This setup was one of the best i have ever driven... Compared to the porche turbo (all wheel drive) and M3 my car can keep up around turns... You can floor it in second gear pull the steering wheel as hard as you want and it will come out of it like it was nothing... if you get wider tires... well thats another story... by the way all that work cost about $1200...ouch! but it was worht it definitely