A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Agressive Driving/Hit and Run legal in CA!?!?!?!? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agressive Driving/Hit and Run legal in CA!?!?!?!? (long)

On the way to work today (in my 87 Jetta) I was merging into traffic at walking speeds and a large flat-bed truck decided I didn't deserve to to be in front of him.
I was not cutting in line, just merging zipper-form like everyone else. I started merging into his lane anyways because otherwise I would have to stop
and wait till the end of his 40ft? behemoth holding up traffic behind me.
I start to pull into his lane and....get this....he contacts the side of my rear bumper and starts to push me sideways.
I am like "W T F????" I continue to pull forward and my rear bumper skin partly comes off.
I am VERY pissed at this point and wait until there is an open spot on the side of the road to pull over.
I pull over and the A$$ keeps moving with traffic (going ~25mph now).
I get back into traffic (with my bumper dangling) and eventually get up next to him.
I honk and point for him to pull over and I pull to the side of the road again.
Again he continues on. If this is not Hit-n-Run I don't know what is.
This time I get his liscence #.

I get to work and call the local police to report what happened.
The lady tells me that I have to go down to the police station and file a report.
I ask if they can they send out an officer to do a report, she flatly says NO!
I ask what will come of this if I do file a report and she asks me if I am hurt or if there is extensive damage ($500) to my vehicle.
I say no and that the bumper skin was poped off and the damage was less than $500. She say's nothing will probably happen especially since I left the Scene.
"I" left the scene?...... what about the guy that hit me.
WTF?!?!?! I ask her about the hit-n-run and agressive driving and she gives me some more bull**** about injuries and damage.

Moral of the story....
In CA it IS legal to drive agressively (bumper car style), hit someone and leave the scene of the accident as long as you don't cause more than $500
damage or injure them.

.....glad I drove the Jetta today, exactly why I use IT as my daily driver.
Anyone work at the DMV so I can figure out where this guy works, I feel some off-road rage comin' on. JK

Thought I'd share, thanks for letting me vent.
Old 10-08-2001, 09:58 PM

No need to vent, you made the smart choice by not using your Audi as your commute car..smart man!
Old 10-08-2001, 09:59 PM

Default you sure the guy understood that you wanted him to stop.

My cousin used to drive a large 18 wheel truck like that and he told me that he could hit a car, drag it along/move it over and you would not even feel it in the cab. Sounds like the guy maybe did not see you. I'm sure if he realized that he did damage to your car he would have stoped.

Call the trucking companys number and report him.
Old 10-08-2001, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That f$$ckin' blows!!

It's not the damage as so much as that a-hole acting like he did and thinking that he could shove you to the side of the road and leave like that. Some people have no morals...
Old 10-08-2001, 10:23 PM

Default No, he did it on purpose

No, he definitely knew he hit me.
He was trying to block me and I merged anyway's (he could see me) and he honked at me as I tried to merge..
After hitting me, he tailgated me (1-2ft from my bumper).
He definitely did it on purpose.
Old 10-08-2001, 10:26 PM

Don't have my Audi yet but my precious 81 Scirocco S will be staying safely at home for awhile
Old 10-09-2001, 03:06 AM

tailgated AFTER he hit you? u shouldve slammed on the brakes. i'm a road rage candidate in that sit.
Old 10-09-2001, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The driver still caused damage to your car, call the company he works for.

Ask them to pay the damages or take them to court.
Old 10-09-2001, 07:40 AM

I only got the liscence #, not the company name
Old 10-09-2001, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default File a report as....

Vadalism NOT hit and run. Same thing happened to me at a jack in the box drive thru at 3 am. Some lady in a 4 runner started hitting the back of my car and tried to push me out. I asked the the hell she was doing and she said "going forward" now im like WTF my car is there. So I called 911 got the plates and all that followed her for a while the 911 operator said dont follow her if anything happenes like she crashes its my fault cuz maybe she would think im chasing her. Operator said pull over and a cop will come and take a report. No one came so I drove the the police station and filed a report as vandalism, thats what the cop said i should do. Cuz she knew that she was hitting my car it wasnt an accident. Well a detective came to her house and investigated, took a picture of her. I had to identify her from a photo line up, which I did. A few months later she was on trial in front of a jury. I had a court appointed lawyer so did she. I won $600. Damage was only like $150-250. It was only a scratch on my bumper, but I won punitive damages.