A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

air conditioner/condenser

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 10:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air conditioner/condenser

Hi... I'm new posting, but I have been reading through old posts trying to find answers about air conditioning.

I just got the timing belt and water pump changed, only to suddenly have the air conditioning stop working a couple days after. I've looked through old posts to see that's a recurring problem after a timing belt change. The mechanic claims it isn't a simple case of him misplacing the plug.

After 3 attempts to fix a mystery leak that was never there before the timing belt was changed (back when my air conditioning worked fine) and after having the ac go dead 2 days after each leak fix and recharge, he now claims the condenser needs to be replaced.

I know the condenser can cause the ac to stop functioning properly, but is it reasonable this is the problem after the course of events? Wouldn't I have noticed something wrong with the condenser and AC before the timing belt was fixed?

Thanks
Old 07-20-2006, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Who did the install? Did he just put the condenser to the side or take it off?
Old 07-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Who did the install? Did he just put the condenser to the side or take it off?

that I don't know but will work on finding out? What difference would it have made?
Old 07-20-2006, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If he took it off he had to undo the hoses which would have dischaged the freon.

Was it the stealership?

Change the subject when replying.

--dillon
Old 07-20-2006, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If he took it off he would need to replace the o-rings where it connects to the AC line.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default took it off... claims he replaced the o-rings

and no, it wasnt the stealership. he said 'you can only take the condenser off a certain number of times' and mine is old and has already been taken off a few times' (i bought the car used with 60k miles on it last year - 1999 1.8t.)
Old 07-20-2006, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default have they put a dye in the system to see where the leak is?

I would do that before just replacing parts that are supposedly leaking. He might have punctured a hose, or a fitting or something to cause this... or mis-seat the little pressure switch on the condensor itself... or it could have just been coincidental that it broke right after he touched it...

def have a dye put in before continuing forward and replacing parts.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default bull$hit...

a condensor is a radiator, and how many times it was removed should have nothing to do with anything... he either didn't install the o-rings properly when redoing them or f'd something else up...

w/o any other info, I'd say this is his mistake that he's trying to get you to pay for. How well do you know this mechanic?
Old 07-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Well, my father trusts him, is that good enough?

I don't think he would try to screw me over. But I don't doubt he may have messed up somewhere. So I just want to be sure what he does this time is actually going to fix whatever problem there is. I tend to think he created the problem, I just want to be sure his course of action now is going to fix it.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2006, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

^^^^^Yeah, what he said!!!^^^^^^^^^^^

Quick Reply: air conditioner/condenser