A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

air filters

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-1998, 05:35 AM
Vincent Smit

Default air filters

Hello all, this is my first ever message to this list. I recently sold my 1991 GMC Syclone and bought the new love of my life, a 1999 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8t 5spd. I love this car, you can't beat the German engineering. Anyways, I'm looking at replacing the stock air filter with a K & N or something similar. What kind of performance gains (if any) can I expect from a high performance filter? Is it worth the money?<p>Thanks again for you help.<p>Vince
Old 12-12-1998, 07:13 AM
Eric H.

Default Re: air filters

I have heard no account of such a replacement that produced any measurable change in performance, other than in conjunction with<br>some serious modifications that are likely more responsible for the difference.
Old 12-12-1998, 08:11 AM
AlexS

I changed the filter in my Saab turbo to a K&N without any other mods. There was a barely perceptible difference. The only reason that I think there was an actual increase in power is that my wife noticed it too and I had not told her of the change. As I said, however, barely noticable difference, but the filter is only $45 and it also provides better filtering and longer mileage between changes.<p>IMHO...<p>Alex
Old 12-12-1998, 08:24 AM
E

Are you sure that it not just more intake noise? It's fooled me more than once.
Old 12-12-1998, 02:28 PM
Type SH

Default K&N Filters

If you are talking about K&N dropin filters, they do not necessarily gain hps at the wheel. Someone said GTECH Pro showed an increase of 1rhp gain. That 1rhp gain is nothing compared to other mods. However, I still suggest you to go with the K&N drop-in filter. I does (to me) enhance the throttle response. Besides, I think K&N's design is pretty good. The oil, I guess keeps a lot of moisture (not sure) and dust outside. As previous posts have already pointed out, that thing will last you a long time (1million miles warrranty). Just re-oil it every 10,000miles or so.<p>If you want some bigger HP number gains, then you would need to go into cold air intakes. I'm not sure who makes them for Audis, though. Just try to avoid using those HKS megaflows. Those things do give you gains, but then, they don't filter out things properly. Besides, those ordinary HKS, Akimoto, Greddy Airnix, etc are only 'bigger' filters, they inhale more air but do not suck in cold air. What you want for major gains is a cold intake setup. That usually involves putting the filter behind the bumper to allow the intake to suck in air that's away from the engine compartment, which is very hot. However, this applies to most other cars. I am not sure if Audi works well with those AEM and Iceman cold intakes and I don't know if they even make them for Audis. If they do, they should cost around 230USD. You would estimate a gain of 5-9Rhp or so. (dyno proven).<p>~Prelude SH