A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Air Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The stock box is restrictive in that it's tough to put a bigger MAF housing in there.

After seeing Ray's results with the carbonio I might drop the coin for one when I need to go to a 3" maf housing.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Correct. And they clog faster than paper filters too. And the oil can ruin your MAF. Strike 3.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: the only way to really know is to measure airflow with both setups

I'll have to measure it both ways. The guys I was talking with, was talking about Turbulant and Linear airflow, and that with Turbulant airflow, it does not add anything thing, because the airflow is uneven and bouncing around for a lack of better terms. You want "Linear" airflow because it's even and constant, not "bouncing" around. I kinda think this guys is getting a little deep. I was under the belief that the more air you ram into an engine, the more power you get!! Why would they have air rams on Subaru's, and all those old Cuda's and crap like that?? I know I just compared Carbs and injected engines there, but that one guy was comparing US, GMC and Ford Diesel truck engines to German Turbocharged gasoline cars, don't mean to be rude, sorry.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:12 AM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Default this is your 2nd post so I'll be nice =)

1) scoobies (subarus) use the functional hood scoops (some are just for show) for directing flow to their intercoolers

2) Turbulent vs Laminar flow... turbulence gets a bad rep when misapplied and Laminar gets an overly stated good rep when misapplied to arguments.

The only that that flow has to really do with this discussion is that whatever system you use (cone or stock box) the airflow going though the Mass airflow sensor needs to be laminar, so you dont want to position the sensor too close to the cone or too close to a turn of the piping, as this will change the airflow characteristics.

3) Cuda's etc: Were normally aspirated/non-turbo cars, and the hood scoop concept there was to get them cold air and provide some positive pressure induction (e.g. 0.3-.5 psi) It does gain some modest power in a free flowing system.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:17 AM

Default My Audi is non-turbo - can I get any benefit?

I assume a normally aspirated engine is any engine that is not turbo?

My 1.8 has no turbo. Can I therefore get the same type of benefit you spoke of with the Cuda's, etc with more cold airflow?

All a little confusing....

Thanks!

P.S. It's only like my 6th or 7th post so maybe you can be nice to me too?
Old 02-20-2006, 08:19 AM

Default Re: this is your 2nd post so I'll be nice =)

Thanks for being nice!! Your info is much appreciated. I am using a cone filter that is routed down, behind the bottom-left airdam. The MAF is located at the very top of the piping at the back of the engine, far away from any bends. I think it is a pretty good set-up. So, what do you think?? Better then the stock airbox?? Thanks guys!!!

..the newbie!!
Old 02-20-2006, 08:27 AM

Default Re: My Audi is non-turbo - can I get any benefit?

Well, according to the manufactures "specs" yes, you will get some benifit, but not as much as a turbo'd car. And yes you are correct in the differences betweene a non-asperated car,(no turbo) and a turbo car.
But, what I am trying to find out, is if there really are ANY benifits to a CAI system vs a stock airbox set-up. So I am not entirelly sure either. We'll learn I have a feeling!!
Old 02-20-2006, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

NA means natural aspiration, or no forced induction, which includes superchargers
Old 02-20-2006, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was comparing my K&N cone to the APR box

no data on the stock box vs cone or APR box. Back when I was plain ole stage 3, the MAF was getting maxed out, so there was no way to measure the max flow.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default diffirent cars have diffirent restrictions

The A4 will gain more by putting a better exhaust...

And here is a simpler filter comparison:<ul><li><a href="http://audi12v.home.comcast.net/airfilter/">air filter comparison</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: Air Intakes