A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Alignment Specs: Are they different for "Sport" package vs. "Stock" suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-1999, 07:57 AM
Andy Hedin

Default Alignment Specs: Are they different for "Sport" package vs. "Stock" suspension?

I've got a '97 A4 1.8Tqm which has been upgraded with the 98.5 "Sport" springs and shocks (purchased thru the classifieds) along with the "Sport" package swaybars. The installation was done at an independant garage and also aligned by them. I don't believe they had access to the Hunter piece for aligning quattro's.<p>Anyway, I'm not happy with the way the car handles, specifically at speeds over 60. It feels very nervous and twitchy....not exactly confidence inspiring. I'm contemplating having the alignment re-done at my local dealer. This leads me to my question...does anyone know if the alignment specs are different from a "Sport" package equipped A4 to a "Stock" suspension equipped A4? Since mine is a '97 when no "true" sport package was available, I'm afraid that the alignment will be wrong if they set it for a stock suspension. Does anyone know if the specs are different? Should I tell them to align it using specs from a '98 Sport package equipped 1.8T? Once I blow my cover, chances are that I'll have to pay for the alignment out of my pocket....does anyone know what a 4-wheel alignment from the dealer will cost? Thanks much,<p>Andy Hedin<br>'97 A4 1.8Tqms, Wett 1.0 Bar, ABT Filter, Euro Headlights....
Old 04-25-1999, 08:30 AM
Marcus Frost

Default If you are wobbling @60mph+, your alignment is off for sure, and... (more)

If your feeling wobbly @60mph+ you definately need to get your car re-aligned because it is not setup properly. If they did not even use the Hunter machine then chances are there is no way they could have aligned it properly and you are now producing uneven wear on your tires which will effect your driving even if you get your wheels re-aligned. Hopefully you will get it done before you put too much wear on the tires. Since '97 and '98 models are practically the same, putting the sports package on your 97 should not be a problem once aligned properly, so you should ask for '98 sport specs when you goto your dealer. While I am not sure of the cost of the alignment, I'm sure you will feel quite a difference in performance when aligned properly, ask most owners here who test drove both, and they'll tell you that they like the feel of the sport package a lot better.
Old 04-25-1999, 10:33 AM
ErikR

Default Way misaligned...

Check the tire pressure first. Then if it is spec, complain right away and keep on them until it is fixed. I don't have the alignment numbers handy, but if anthing the sport feels very stable to me up to 125 mph, then ruts and aero take over.
Old 04-25-1999, 12:42 PM
Steve S.

Default Alignment Specs

Andy, I would only take a quattro car to an alignment shop that shows you the special attachment to the Hunter alignment system. I took mine finally to a dealer, and asked them to align the car (I have the H&R coilovers). They got within spec on everything (If I remember correctly). I do have some negative camber in front, which produces some wear down the road on the inside edges, but it helps in autocross situations and on the track. <p>Here is a copy of my printout from the Hunter alignment. They used the sport setting as the baseline...even though my car is a 97 2.8Q that didn't have a sport package available at the time.<p>Good luck. BTW, stay away from that "dark" side...<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM
Old 04-25-1999, 12:55 PM
James R.

Default On the topic of Alignment...(more)

I don't understand what this obsession is with getting the car aligned when you have suspension work done. If you look in the Audi suspension manual it CLEARLY IMPLIES that one does not need to align the car if the struts are removed.<p>The part of the suspension that is responsible for steering alignment should not and need not be taken apart to replace struts and springs ect. This is clearly implied in the Audi suspension manual.<p>I just had my car lowered on Friday 1.8" below the stock NON-Sport (Bilstein and Nuespeed Sport + 27mm Neuspeed Anti Sway bar) settings and the steering alignment was not affected because they didn't take that part of the car apart...because you don't need to.<p>The only aspect that I could see being affected by lowering the car is the Camber...and even that is going to be minimal. There was another Orger who stated that when he called his dealer...they even told him that you DON'T need to re-align the car. He's been driving on that setup for 1.5 years and claims he has perfectly even tire wear.<p>Why are all of you getting these alignments performed??? It's seems that most of the evidence would suggest that you don't need to on this particular car. I know that with some of the Japanese cars / American cars an alignment is necessary because you do affect the steerig alignment when you take the suspension out...because some of the parts related to the steering have to be loosened or removed to get the suspension apart enough to take the struts out.<p>Some one please explain to me why everyone get's their cars aligned...it it's because the dealer told you so then I've got a bridge for sell.<p>You've modified your suspesnion and allowed non Audi personell to work on you car...this automatically voids any claim you would have to getting an alignment for free. So of course knowing this they are going to tell you to bring it in so they can charge you and arm and a leg to align you car...hell who knows maybe the car never even sees the alignment rack, they might just let it sit for a day and give it back to you...they'd have to be sheisters to do it...but worse has happened.<p>Anyhow I'd appreciate it if someone in the know (Any Audi Techs out there??) would clear up this subject.<p>BTW - My car is FWD...i.e. not Quattro if it has any bearing on the subject...the poster I mention also had a FWD car.
Old 04-25-1999, 01:05 PM
James R.

Default Re: Alignment Specs

Steve, do you think that you car was off because of the suspension work you had done. Please see my posts.<p>I could imagine the error in the measured values could be because of the work you had performed by a shop that didn't have the proper alignment tools. Is it possible that you had an acceptable and proper alignment (specs) when you lowered your car...but because you think you needed to have an alignment performed you took it to a shop where they messed it up?? Which is later evidenced in the output from the Hunter machine.<p>I ask this because I finally got my car lowered 1.8" lower than stock NON-Sport and I'm trying to decide if I need an alignment.<p>The shop who did my suspension claims I don't. Another poster said his dealer even told him you don't need to get an aligment for that kind of work...the Audi suspension manual even implies you don't need to align the car unless you take the components associated with the steering alignment apart..which you don't need to do for suspension lowering.
Old 04-25-1999, 01:06 PM
James R.

BTW - THE ABOVE IS TARGETED TOWARDS STEVE S.
Old 04-25-1999, 02:21 PM
Chris Hlubb

Default james- I have the perfect reason why-mine was WAYYYYYY off!

i dont know what happened to mine but I went through a set of Pirelli P7000SS way too fast and tehy were very uneven. I took mine to my dealer, at which i know the master tech, and they aligned my car. Good thing i did because my rear was showing more than -2.0 camber on the right and about -.75 on the left. In front i had a similar problem but not as sever and the toe was WAY off in front also causing a lot of feathering.<br>This is why I opted for an alignment. But I do know some people that have been fine without it.<p>Chris<ul><li><a href="http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/9179/index.html">My A4 page</a></li></ul>
Old 04-25-1999, 02:58 PM
Steve S.

Default My advice...get the alignment done at an Audi dealer or shop that definitely has the Hunter system AND special 4WD alignment attachment

You have lowered the car significantly and now the angles have moved significantly. My opinion is to do it...others that lower their car with just a spring change of 0.5" "may" be ok. Ask Anthony or Jason...or Aaron Neumann where to do an alignment in that area.<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM
Old 04-25-1999, 03:31 PM
Steve S.

Even though you have FWD...I would still take it to a dealer or a VERY reputable alignment shop

Quick Reply: Alignment Specs: Are they different for "Sport" package vs. "Stock" suspension?