A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Amp draw

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mtroxel
It will skyrocket when you pull the fuse on the circuit that has the dead short to ground in it. If you have a dead short to ground, you should read very low resistence...probably less than an Ohm. It's like puttting the two probes of the multi-meter together. They complete a circuit, and you'd read 0 ohms. With a 30 amp draw, that's probably what you have somewhere in your car. On some circuit ground and positive are shorted together sucking your battery dry. A healthy B5 will read very high resistance between + and - because the only thing completing a circuit is the radio anti-theft stuff and the remote locking/theft stuff, and there is a lot of circuitry between + and - in those systems. You have a circuit that is essentially connecting the + and - on your battery. That's the circuit you are looking for.
Thanks. So my readings are coming from the disconnected battery cables? And the fuse isn't blown because it is being bypassed by the short?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, you're looking for ohms across the disconnected battery cables. If the dead short is on the other side of the fuses, it should disappear when you pull the fuse. I forgot about how high your amp draw is. If you're really drawing 30 amps, that pretty much limits the search to fuses over 30 amps. That is a huge draw though.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

alternator diodes can fail and cause a serious draw. unhook the alternator and see if the draw stops
Old 09-15-2012, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

^^Good thought^^
Old 09-15-2012, 06:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

^^Good thought^^
OK, The ohms check between the battery cables is zero, like the two probes touched together. Now, I disconnected the additional cable that connects to the positive battery cable (looks like it goes inside the vehicle), and checked the ohms between that small cable and the negative cable, and it was zero also. However; when I checked the ohms between the large positive cable with the little one disconnected, and the negative cable, I got 92,000 ohms! Not sure what this tells me, but I am pretty sure 92,000 is not normal. Maybe this is not an accurate test with the little cable disconnected?? The large cable appears to go down towards alternator and starter.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tommyleea
OK, The ohms check between the battery cables is zero, like the two probes touched together. Now, I disconnected the additional cable that connects to the positive battery cable (looks like it goes inside the vehicle), and checked the ohms between that small cable and the negative cable, and it was zero also. However; when I checked the ohms between the large positive cable with the little one disconnected, and the negative cable, I got 92,000 ohms! Not sure what this tells me, but I am pretty sure 92,000 is not normal. Maybe this is not an accurate test with the little cable disconnected?? The large cable appears to go down towards alternator and starter.
OOPS, Forgot to apply the good thought. I will disconnect the alternator and recheck amp draw. Thanks..
Old 09-15-2012, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

...checked the ohms between that small cable and the negative cable, and it was zero also. However; when I checked the ohms between the large positive cable with the little one disconnected, and the negative cable, I got 92,000 ohms! Not sure what this tells me, but I am pretty sure 92,000 is not normal.
What's not normal is the 0 ohms. 0 ohms between the positive and negative means a dead short....positive is connected to ground...........really well. That's what's killing your battery. And if it's on the cable that goes into the car, you've already started to isolate the circuit that is draining you. I believe that big cable that goes toward the front ends up right on the alternator, so that's probably not the problem. Pull it off the alternator just to hit that pitch out of the park, but I think your problem is inside the car. Now you just need to start pulling fuses (probably a really big one if you've been drawing 30 amps) to find the cirucit where your problem is.

By the way, I just checked mine for the heck of it. With both cables disconnected, I get about 1,900 ohms for a half a second, then it goes outside the 2000 ohm range of my meter. Remember, high ohms are not what's draining the battery. It's the 0 ohm reading.

Last edited by mtroxel; 09-15-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

What's not normal is the 0 ohms. 0 ohms between the positive and negative means a dead short....positive is connected to ground...........really well. That's what's killing your battery. And if it's on the cable that goes into the car, you've already started to isolate the circuit that is draining you. I believe that big cable that goes toward the front ends up right on the alternator, so that's probably not the problem. Pull it off the alternator just to hit that pitch out of the park, but I think your problem is inside the car. Now you just need to start pulling fuses (probably a really big one if you've been drawing 30 amps) to find the cirucit where your problem is.

By the way, I just checked mine for the heck of it. With both cables disconnected, I get about 1,900 ohms for a half a second, then it goes outside the 2000 ohm range of my meter. Remember, high ohms are not what's draining the battery. It's the 0 ohm reading.
I see said the blind man. I kind of understand what you are telling me now. With 0 ohms it is just like putting the two leads together. I pulled the big fuses 40 and 50 amp. The two circuit breakers, and the relays without any change in the ohms. Not sure where to go from here. I guess I need to pull the radio out and take a look behind there. Not sure why I can't find the stupid thing. Thanks for your help to all. Oh, and I did isolate the alternator and the starter, but no help. It seems odd that everything that I can think of is working.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

With 0 ohms it is just like putting the two leads together. I pulled the big fuses 40 and 50 amp.
There ya go! 0 ohms means you might as well have a cable that connects the + & - posts or your battery. Maybe you pull every fuse in the little fuse box on the end of the dash. If you still have 0 ohms, you can rule that whole thing out. Then you have the fuses and relays behind the knee bolster under the steering wheel.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I believe the culprit has been located. I was testing the cables that are connected to the power distribution under the dash on drivers side, and finally located one that made the ohms jump up. It appears to be the passenger power seat. Although the driver side seat was working, I never did try the passenger seat. Sure enough, the passenger seat control switches were toast. I can see with a mirror that the backside of the controls is black and toasty. Now to find out why. Thanks for all the help on this one. I couldn't have done it alone. Cheers.

TommyJ

Quick Reply: Amp draw