A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Another ECS Tuning BOV review(flame suit on!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another ECS Tuning BOV review(flame suit on!)

well, i bought the forge bov "made to work w/ our 1.8T's" from ECS Tuning and here is my opinion. the bov is a good design and sounds okay, theres a high pitched sound along with a whissh. I think it would sound better if there was a bigger turbo to go with it. Unfortunately, thats about the only positive thing i have to say about it. When I drive regularly, around 0-5psi and let off the gas, it makes a fluttering sound, it doesn't do that when I'm full throttle hitting 16psi. the fluttering sound really gets to me. When I'm from a stop and just floor it through first gear, around 3000-3500 rpm, it hesitates and then it picks up again. it does that on the freeway in fifth gear too. Throttle response was a little better but that damn fluttering sound under normal driving just got to me so I just put my Evo Bypass valve on. It was fun for a little while, maybe at a car show i'll put it on but not for everyday driving. she likes the bypass valve a lot better. Now, even though I bought the bypass valve from ECS tuning, that does not make them a bad company. I like them, I've bought a few parts from them and they came in a timely manner and they're customer service is great. ECS tuning comes out with a lot of OEM and aftermarket products and I will continue to use them whenever I need a part. Let me know what everyone thinks. Oh yeah, I just had my Neuspeed Exhaust put on too. It is 2.5" piping from the turbo back and it sounds great! Pulls harder from 3500 rpms and up. I love the sound. Its not too loud but it has a great sporty sound. Its real deep, not like the gsr's and si's with the potato launchers that sound like a little weed whacker is going crazy. No rubbing on anything with this kit. The muffler looks a tad too low so I'll just mess with the hangers. The whole exhaust looks great! Classy and not ricey or boy racer at all. I recommend the neuspeed exhaust to anyone with an A4 on a budget. I bought it from Supreme Power for 629 and paid 150 to have it installed. Only took around two hours. No bolts broke thank god but that down pipe is a bitch to put in! To think I was gonna try to install it with some jack stands lying on my back. Well, thats all for now. Sorry so long!

robert
Old 07-22-2004, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dude, you got hosed on the install. My mech charged me

like $35 to install the entire Neuspeed system on my car. It takes less than an hour to do.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:55 AM

oh well, its on now
Old 07-22-2004, 09:43 AM

Default I have the forge BOV from ECS and I haven't had any big problems with it...

the only difference that I noticed is that it is a tiny bit hesitant when the engine is cold, but after 20 seconds of running the car it's got good throttle response. I have an APR chip and the only time I can really hear the thing is if I floor it and let of the gas quickly, otherwise it's so quiet I can barely hear it.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default May be a DBW thing? I haven't had a problem with mine...

and as for the fluttering...if you go to 5 lbs boost and then let off the gas the BOV will open...but since there isn't that much pressure the PPSSSTTT is turned into a flutter...