A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

any opinions on the Audi ski rack sold at the dealership???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any opinions on the Audi ski rack sold at the dealership???
Old 02-12-2002, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default im interested in the load bars as well- the bars themselves are like $220 at the dealer

and as far as I can tell they attach the same as say a thule or yakima. Im looking specifically to attach a surfboard and am not sure if i can use the audi load bars with the attachments provided by thule/yakima. Would be nice to know if anyone has the audi setup.
Old 02-12-2002, 12:24 PM

Default I have it and like it....

I got it over the Yakima and Thule because the bars are the exact length and don't hang over the side of the car. In fact the bars are specific to the front and back. They have stickers on the bottom labeling them. Apparently, one of them is longer. The bars use a channel and square headed bolts to attach things to them. I have the ski rack and 2 of the bike racks that grab the down tube on the bike. The attachements appear to be identical to the Thule attachments. I bought a set of Thule locks for the attachments so that I could use one key and they worked perfectly. Although, the locks on the cross bars are different so I am stuck with 2 keys for the system. One for the cross bars and one for the the attachments. It came with a nifty torque device that you use to attach it. It works well.

I expected more noise from the rack. The cross bars came with rubber strips to fill in the channel. I cut them to fit around the attachements and I assume this cuts down on noise. It is only noisy with the sunroof open. You can hardly tell it is there if you close the shade. This depends somewhat on your speed and how much wind there is though.

As for price, it is available online and my local dealer was willing to match price.
Old 02-12-2002, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default thanks- thats good info - I want to confirm if the Thule surfboard mounts will work

with the rack / If you happen to know please let me know - thanks
Old 02-12-2002, 12:52 PM

Default I don't know for sure...

But I think it would work. I went to Thule's site and looked at the way it attaches. They show a "Carriage Bolt" that they use with a strap that goes around their own cross bar.

The attachments that I have came with the same square headed bolts. The bolts work for either attachment. The picture on Thule's site looks like the carriage bolt that comes with the "Hang Two" has a round head. From the way it looks though I would bet that if you had an Audi attachment that came with a set of square headed bolts you could use those and it would attach very easily.
Old 02-12-2002, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

thanks again...I'll go for it and let ya know how it works out