A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Any PES T28 equipped cars out there?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any PES T28 equipped cars out there?

Hi All - I'm looking at buying an A4 withe the PES T28 turbo installed. How are those things holding up? I know PES has discontinued the kit and I've searched and found a couple "bad news" threads, but don't want to base my entire opinion on the few I saw.

Thanks in advance for your time - I REALLY want to get back into an A4!!!!!

Rob
Recent Cars:
1997 A4 MTM Stage III
2000 S4 APR Stage II
2005 Mazda RX8 (just sold so I can buy another Audi!!!!)
Old 07-05-2009, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

The kits are fine as long as the manifold is not cracked which is the main issue with the kit.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't know if you read one of my old posts... but I had a PES T28 on my '01 A4, and it wasn't worth it. The parts are nice, and install was easy, but the program sucked *****. Mine was boosting very low, and they always promised a better program, and never delivered. Other non-DBW cars had PES programs that boosted more, while DBW cars were cheated and got nowhere near the claimed HP increase. Ultimately, my engine blew (bent rods, scored pistons, etc) w/ the PES kit. No I went w/ Pauter rods, JE forged pistons, GT3071R and Autronic standalone... and making WAY more power than the PES ever did.

I would NOT recommend it for a DBW car, but I did work on a A4 that had the AEB motor, and the PES was decent. Not perfect, but better than my DBW experience. I still wouldn't recommend the kit to anyone. (I used to work as an installer at DTM Autohaus, Alhambra... I've worked on a good number of Audi/VW's)

Their hardware is ok... but these days, you should opt for a full ball bearing turbo instead. Also, I still dont have faith in their ecu programs.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Rob
Old 07-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Mr Mc Feely

How many miles on the car? how many miles has the kit been installed?

I have bits and pieces still.. from my experience. The turbo is rock solid. I had 70k miles or so on the turbo with little shaft play. As Mike said below, the manifolds are known to crack, though this was with the earlier run castings. Can you take a picture or have the seller take a picture? Do you know when the kit was installed?

BIGGEST ISSUE WITH THE KIT - the T28's love to eat manifold to turbo through bolts. These usually with other turbo's pass completely through the hot side and are mounted with nuts. With the T28, the rear locations actually thread withing the hot side. This is a weak point of the turbo. I have had to machine and re thread the rear mounting locations twice due to broken studs lodged in the turbo. So when you see the car in person tap the head of the bolts to see if they move or jiggle.. could be broken off inside the housing.

Would be good to know if you have an updated manifold or one from the original batch.. the original can be quite a PITA to remove as well. The newer cast offers MUCH more room to access the mounting spots.

Can you have the owner take some pictures?

Always remember.. you are buying a modified car.. that most likely has been driven and boosted hard. Wear and tear on the internals, clutch etc... I know the problems that come along with used modified cars far too well. Post some pictures and good luck.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Mr Mc Feely

Originally Posted by mrnitrous422
the program sucked *****. Also, I still dont have faith in their ecu programs.
AMEN. The tune I have for my AEB NDBW has always been farked.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't know if you read one of my old posts... but I had a PES T28 on my '01 A4, and it wasn't worth it. The parts are nice, and install was easy, but the program sucked *****. Mine was boosting very low, and they always promised a better program, and never delivered. Other non-DBW cars had PES programs that boosted more, while DBW cars were cheated and got nowhere near the claimed HP increase. Ultimately, my engine blew (bent rods, scored pistons, etc) w/ the PES kit. No I went w/ Pauter rods, JE forged pistons, GT3071R and Autronic standalone... and making WAY more power than the PES ever did.

I would NOT recommend it for a DBW car, but I did work on a A4 that had the AEB motor, and the PES was decent. Not perfect, but better than my DBW experience. I still wouldn't recommend the kit to anyone. (I used to work as an installer at DTM Autohaus, Alhambra... I've worked on a good number of Audi/VW's)

Their hardware is ok... but these days, you should opt for a full ball bearing turbo instead. Also, I still dont have faith in their ecu programs.
Is that you Joe? Didn't know you were still around or if you still had your A4 since I haven't seen you at any of the drag events here in socal.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

damn, this is an old post, but whatever.

Yo Mike, yea still got the old girl. Looks like I have the same issue w/ stripped out thread on my ATP T3 manifold. I kept blowing the T3 turbo-manifold gaskets because the turbo would get loose.

Gonna time-sert the manifold and hope it holds.

You still see the Eurocode guys often?
Old 08-04-2010, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

damn, this is an old post, but whatever.

Yo Mike, yea still got the old girl. Looks like I have the same issue w/ stripped out thread on my ATP T3 manifold. I kept blowing the T3 turbo-manifold gaskets because the turbo would get loose.

Gonna time-sert the manifold and hope it holds.

You still see the Eurocode guys often?

Joe you should think about ditching the ATP T3 manifold for a Full-race manifold. I have been running one for just over 6 years now.

If you have problems blowing out the gaskets you should also think of having the manifold flange and turbo flange decked so they are perfectly flat and then go without a gasket.

Yeah I still talk to the guys at Eurocode.

BTW I sent you a PM.