A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Any sound experts out there?? read this

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks...now another question..will I be able to run two amps off of it? :-D
Old 02-23-2002, 08:27 PM

Default oh I will... these is my plans:

dynaudio system 360 8" + 3" + 1" in front doors powered by zapco c2k 4.0x.
2 JL 12W7 or Eclipse Titanium powered by zapco c2k 9.0x (2200x1). keep eclipse source.

got 5 grand so I can do this or what?
Old 02-23-2002, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default the blau connector only has one set of outputs

so, you'll have to split it.. but that should be much of an issue... I wonder if you can use two?
Old 02-23-2002, 08:33 PM

Well I will be using a dual amp wiring kit..maybe I won't have to split it.
Old 02-23-2002, 08:34 PM

>:O
Old 02-23-2002, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've had 10's and 12's in my car and here are my observations...

side by side, all other specs being equal, a single 10 will probably sound a little "faster" or "tighter" than a single 12. However the 12 will be able to hit lower frequencies without distorting or complaining. I have a 12 and as I will explain in a minute, I have found a way to have my cake and eat it too.

Keep in mind that the box design and construction will have a LOT of influence on the overall sound.

Currently I have a single 12. For what it's worth, I listen to a wide variety of music but a majority is progressive rock and metal, like Dream Theater and Fear Factory. There is a LOT of really fast double bass stuff in that music and a "slower" sub will make those super fast 32nd and 64th bass drum notes sound like mud. My 12 articulates them pretty damn cleanly.

I chose a 12 because I didn't want to paint myself into a corner and limit the low end response. In addition to progressive, I also listen to a lot of industrial, trance, and euro electronica. That music has a lot of heavy low end frequencies that a 10 just can't produce to my satisfaction.

Most subs come with box building recommendations based on different desired end results. I chose a box design that would yield a good balance between tightness and low end response. I found that it is easier and more practical to design and build a box to make a 12 sound smaller than it is to make a 10 sound larger.

By the way, my sub is an Audiomobile Evo series 12". This sub is geared for audiophiles who appreciate sound quality over quantity. They also make the Mass series which is really geared towards the DB drag race market. Believe you me, my Evo is plenty loud enough and I am not even running half the wattage it is capable of handling.
Old 02-24-2002, 12:07 AM

Default box design is KEY!

Most car audio places would rather over spec something than do it right and a lot of times what your hearing is distortion rather than bass; research some 25-30L box designs, if you can swing the room do a bandpass design, you can really tune the sub to the sound you desire as far as low-end vs. distortion goes, ported boxes are much easier to design, they can produce very low output. For a very easy compact design that delievers very tight bass you could do a sealed box, I would probably go with this since your running a 600w amp anyway....

And as far as 10 vs. 12, i would go with a higher quality 10 over a 12 anyday, in a well designed enclosure a 10 will blow your ears anyway....i like focal, but im also a fully addicted(and invested) audiophile.... so FOCAL and its 11" go figure!!!

-vinay<ul><li><a href="http://www.focal.tm.fr/gb/car/polykevlar/27k.htm">http://www.focal.tm.fr/gb/car/polykevlar/27k.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 02-24-2002, 12:16 AM

Default more links, and correction

i pointed you to a driver which is for ported designs, i would probably go for the previously mentioned driver and a ported box to save some money) but try the
http://www.focal.tm.fr/gb/car/utopia/27wx.htm
for sealed designs

oh yeah and heres an ok link on designing enclosures<ul><li><a href="http://www.diysubwoofers.org/caraudio.htm">http://www.diysubwoofers.org/caraudio.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 02-24-2002, 03:55 PM

Default no way, 12's give you cleaner bass, if you are not getting clean bass out of a 10 it is because it

sucs .
as long as you get a good 12 with a custom box you will be cool. Space should not be a worry as our trunks are soo big. Check the rms wattage on your amp, you want to have around 300 rms(true watts) for 1 12
good luck
Old 02-25-2002, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Infinity Perfects will NOT fit

I wanted to get a 5 1/4 PERFECT component.. they cant fit.. the magnet is too deep.

Quick Reply: Any sound experts out there?? read this