A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Anybody else rotate tires and THEN get loud tire noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-1999, 11:11 AM
Kyle Bailey

Default No increase in noise, but bad vibration at 70+ mph...

After rotating the tires, it felt like one of the wheels was bouncing at about 73 mph. I'm not sure, but it felt like it was the right rear. I switched the right side back and the vibration is gone. I would expect that if the wheel was so unbalanced as to cause bouncing, I would feel it in the steering wheel when it is mounted on the front, but that is not the case. Is there more damping on the front wheels than the rear?<p>Kyle
Old 02-19-1999, 11:39 AM
G. Hale

Default Same Tire, Same Problem... Slightly different size.

I had the exact same problem with my Pirelli P7000SS in 235/40 R17 size. The inside of the front and rear tires were worn, but mostly the front, and even more severe on the drivers front tire. Part of my problem was that the place I had the wheels installed did not install weights on the outer part of the wheel because there was not lip. They said that it wasn't required.... 'cause I asked about stick-on weights. But I think the main problem was that the car was not aligned properly with this size of tires. I took the car to the dealership for alignment and it was out of alignment. I was told that part of the alignment was done from the center of the tire, and with the wider tire, the center of the tire changes. I was worried that the alignment may not be covered under warranty since I had aftermarket tires/wheels.... but luckily it was, and takes about 2hrs. with their $25k dollar computerized digital alignment machine. I'm not sure if all dealerships have this, as my dealership said that they just bought it last year, but it is a special machine that they just use on their Audi's.... not their BMW's or Mercedes'.
Old 02-19-1999, 01:40 PM
David P

Default Wait... Your dealer covered the alignment??

I switched from the sport rims to the 5 spokes. Think that made a difference? I even brought the car in for wheel balancing and they did it reporting that they were out of balance. It didn't get any better. Hmmm.<p>David
Old 02-20-1999, 04:06 AM
Insider

Default Re: Same Tire, Same Problem... Slightly different size.

The Hunter alignment machine you spoke of is a minimum equiptment tool for all dealers that want to sell any Audi with the 4 link ft suspension . Which is all of them now. It is not an Audi only machine will do any car,just a state of the art machine.