A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

anybody know about aftermarket mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-1999, 05:03 PM
Dan D

Default anybody know about aftermarket mufflers

I was thinking about getting a borla or maybe a flowmaster although i know they are mostly used for american cars.
questions
will my car sound like those annoying civics everyone hates?
has anyone tried it ?
any other sugestions?
ps im a little low on cash
Old 11-10-1999, 05:12 PM
Mike

Default I know what you mean...

i am looking for a performance exhaust but want little or no extra sound. I have made some calls but am still looking. Maybe someone here can help?
Old 11-10-1999, 05:15 PM
Bjorn

Default Re: anybody know about aftermarket mufflers

Avoid FLOWMASTER. They're VERY loud.
If you can save a little while, get a SuperSprint. (around 630 or so). I had one on my M3 and really liked it.
Old 11-10-1999, 05:21 PM
ChuckB

I agree...somebody enlighten us...please
Old 11-10-1999, 06:08 PM
Cris

Default You can try this...

I can't guarantee(sp?) you success, but you can try replacing the OEM resonator with a glasspack muffler.

My friend had a Remus DTM tips on his 1.8TQ, with the stock resonator. With the Remus, you'd expect nice sound, right? Wrong. The car was really quiet... his friend says it sounds like an Benz. Later on, I convinced him to pull the stock resonator and put in place a glasspack muffler/resonator. That made the car sound alot better. I am sure the Remus helped.
Look at it this way... if it sounded like a MB before the resonator, and it's totally different after the resonator... It must help, right? If you are on a budget... try replacing the resonator. It's a cheap fix, esp. if you are on a budget. Of course, this is a TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK project. Most muffler shops will install it for you for about $50. You can order one of those resonators for about $40. The OEM piping is 2-1/4 diameter.

Cris
Old 11-10-1999, 06:17 PM
dand

thanks i'll check into that
Old 11-10-1999, 06:56 PM
Keith J

Default WHY?

Audi has always had the best exhaust systems. Noise does NOT equate to power. Matter of fact, noise is lost power. Think about it......All that power you dump into your stereo system is dissapated as power! And in the form of heat as it all decays to temperature change....Enough physics. Now apply it to an exhaust system.

The muffler should be as close as possible to the exhaust manifold in a non-turbo car. This way the high pressure pulses (compression waves) are reduced in magnitude over a wide RPM (frequency) range. This also limits the rarefaction waves (vacuum) which stagnate flow at certain frequencies.

Two mufflers in series are much more effective than parallel mufflers (aka dual exhaust) as this arrangement gives a broader frequency range of damping, much like dual valve springs preventing float.

The import cars with "fart cans" have nothing over a properly designed exhaust system such as found on all Audi automobiles in the past 15 years. My old 4000 had dual serial mufflers plus huge 2" tubes. That's on a 1.8 l engine! I've seen American V-8's with the same pipes and only 1 muffler.

Get your performance elsewhere as a chip is more bang for the buck.
Old 11-10-1999, 06:58 PM
J.T.L.

Default Flowmaster + stock resonator on my CQ was fine

When I bought my 1990 Coupe Quattro the used car guy I bought it from had taken the 2 1/2 in exhaust into the cheapest 1 1/2 in dia muffler he could find so the car would pass inspection.

I replaced it with a 2 1/2 in dia Flowmaster and kept the stock resonator. Sound was exactly what I was looking for: a little louder (but not too much) and a little sportier (but not too buzzy, tinny, or annoying).

Maybe Dan should try to find some examples and listen for himself, since different people can have very different opinions about the same product.

J.T.L.
97 2.8Qm Europa/Ecru
90 CQ FOR SALE, 74 SBtl, 72 510
Old 11-10-1999, 07:22 PM
Cris

Default Why not?

I am not trying to flame or anything, so please don't take it that way.
However, many of us on this board see our cars as a hobby. Most of us don't care too much for the physics "mumbo jumbo" (quoted from the movie, Saint). Why do you think people put aero kits on their cars? Ther don't make the car go any faster. What I am trying to say is that people do things to their cars to because they want to. The muffler shop asked me the exact question... "I don't understand WHY you would want to cut up a perfectly good exhaust? Look! You don't even have dirt under here!"
So, why do we do what we do to a perfectly engineered A4?
Cut 'em up and bolt them on! It's a toy,... a very expensive toy.

Cris
Old 11-10-1999, 08:21 PM
Keith J

Default Re: Why not?

The issue of contention is noise. I enjoy motorsports and the thrill of high horsepower but only on the track. Driving on the streets is a different story. Noise pollution is a very large factor in the total equation of public safety. If everyone had "fart cans" on their cars, emergency sirens would be drowned out. Driver fatigue would increase. All at the expense of some "toy value"

I am totally against anyone modifying a car to wit wide offset wheels, lowered suspensions, obnoxiously loud bass stereos, illegal lights and loud exhausts. I am also rallying against lazy dirving skills and unsecured loads on trucks. There is too much risk without these detrimental effects on the roads today. Drivers must understand their civic duty and drive responsibly and in a well maintained vehicle.

If you must race, do it at the track. Don't do it on the public domain roadways.

BTW, this is my Facist, neurotic German side showing. Try getting away with American driving manners in Germany. Herman pointing to his head means "Are you nuts?" And no German wants to be known as a lunatic. That sign is worse than the "bird" here. TUV rules should be followed here!

Quick Reply: anybody know about aftermarket mufflers