A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Anyone compared the new 325xi to A4 1.8T Quattro? Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2001, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone compared the new 325xi to A4 1.8T Quattro? Any thoughts?

I am still debating between these two cars. I test drove both, except the A4 was a stick and the 325xi was an automatic. I still need to check it out with a manual tranny (will do this weekend).

I was initially not considering the BMW due to its rear-wheel drive, but now they have the xi which is all wheel drive. Not sure if it's as good as quattro, though.

Also, a similarly equipped BMW will be more expensive than A4. I would have to go with bare bones 325xi, as opposed to a nicely equipped A4 1.8T.

What about reliability of both? Parts availability? Customer service?

What about handling? Clutch/transmission/engine performance?

Sorry for so many questions. Any thoughts would be appreciated (I will account for the skew towards A4 since this is an A4 forum).

Thanks,
Pete
Old 05-30-2001, 05:06 AM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i drove my friends...summary: it felt sterile

transmission was nice and short...sporty, body roll was low, but not a good sense of car position. Performance was fair. Not really that sporty feeling.

Interior is nice, some great little convenience features...

I like my A4 more...only wish that Audi came with a transmission halfway between the two. Short shifter helps bridge that gap.
Old 05-30-2001, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoiler & Winter

I really like the look of a front spoiler and side skirt. The problem I
have is that we get a lot of snow. Which manufacturer makes an easily
removable spoiler and side skirt?
Old 05-30-2001, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Some answers

1) BMW fooled around with AWD before but those models weren't very successful, not sure of the reason. Some here will claim Quattro is better than the new BMW setup (check the archives tons of info). I don't know, but I do know Quattro is well proven, reliable, and highly regarded throughout the industry.

2) As for bare bones vs. options, ask yourself what you really want and need. Do you prefer enough things about the Bimmer to give up the options that the A4 would provide.

3) Reliability and parts availability will probably be pretty simmilar.

4) Customer service seems to be highly dealer dependent with Audi (can't speak for BMW). I've had some really good experiences, but many have had really bad ones.

5)I think the A4 strikes an excellent balance between handling and comfort. Every time I start to think about a stiffer suspension I just drive through Boston. Clutch/tranny/engine performance have been excellent for me. Though I would like a short throw on the shifter and a sixth gear, and shorter clutch travel.

6) What are your thoughts on the two, how was the test drive?
Old 05-30-2001, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Test drive impressions...

The 325 auto I test drove felt like driving a limo. Much like my current 2000 Accord EX-V6, except a bit more refined. Hence, I was not impressed because I am looking for something more sporty. That's why I still need to test drive the 325 with manual tranny.

On the other hand, the A4 1.8T manual felt much sportier. I liked it a lot. The only thing that I did not like was the high-revving engine in 5-th gear at highway speeds. It's ok for short trips, but doesn't that get annoying during long trips?
Any problems with driving this thing at 80 MPH for extended amounts of time?

Also, by reading this forum, I noticed a lot of different problems reported by the owners. I would hate to have this thing in the shop for half the time I own it. Given the long wait period for parts from Germany, that does not look like fun. I don't know, however, if the BMWs have their share of similar problems as well.
Old 05-30-2001, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

yeah, it's about 10 grand more.
Old 05-30-2001, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I can't speak for the 5-speed, but my 1.8TQ Tip turns at exactly 3K at 80mph cruising

That's not bad at all, I think.
Old 05-30-2001, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Expert

I've heard that the 5-spd is already on 3k rpm at 60 MPH
Old 05-30-2001, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Expert

The invoice on 325xi is $26K, and MSRP is $28.7K
Old 05-30-2001, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default your right, i was thinking of the 330XI.....

Went to the comparison page on BMW's site and found the one where it compared it to my 2.8.

Quick Reply: Anyone compared the new 325xi to A4 1.8T Quattro? Any thoughts?