A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Anyone encounter problems with rear foglight and overzealous COP

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2000, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone encounter problems with rear foglight and overzealous COP

Anyone have any problems with their rear foglight and their freindly to give a ticket law enforcment? Yesterday I was driving home from work, in the middle of a dense fog advisory notice so I had my rear light on. During that time I noticed a Highway Patrol in the far right lane slowly merging over to the far left lane. Once behnd me he pulled me over and stated my "rear lights were all funky" When I proceeded to explain to him that it was a rear fog light he 1st didnt beleive that a car would have a fog light on the rear, then persisted in telling me to take the car back to the dealer to fix it, 3rd stated if it is a fog light the second one is burnt out, 4th stated the fog light is to bright and distracting to motorist (he was just jealous my red light was brighter then his) and 5th told me it is illegal and it needs to be removed. When I offered proof in the manual and showed I have control over it I was ordered to turn it off and then issued a fix it ticket to have the Rear fog light "removed" or disabled.
Old 12-07-2000, 01:02 PM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The car is DOT approved. He has no basis to ticket you.

If Audi could not put it on the car, it wouldn't BE there.
Old 12-07-2000, 01:04 PM
Former Vendor

he has no right to do that, the left rear fog is totally DOT approved
Old 12-07-2000, 01:08 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Ever now and again I see these posts...uneducated police, unfortunately...

I take it you live in an area with very few european cars?

I would be infuriated by something like this. He is entrusted to uphold the law. Unfortunately, this particular officer has seen fit to make his own rules, because HE doesn't like something. That is not his job, and in your shoes I would take it upon myself to teach him what his job is, and what it isn't (no, I'm not a lawyer)!

The USDOT should have regulations regarding these things...and every car manufacturer has to build their cars to be DOT legal. If you can find those regulations, bring them to court with you. Also, the officer must have cited some code on your ticket that you supposedly violated. Look that code up in your local state's motor vehicle laws. Chances are it's something that it's open to interpretation, but it can't hurt to look up the law which he claims you violated.
Old 12-07-2000, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'd subpoena him and contest it in court. Hopefully humiliate him in front of others he's ticketed.
Old 12-07-2000, 01:13 PM

Default I agree, I beleive he was just ignorant

and did not want to accept the proof I had to offer him. I've already got my dealer providing me with the DOT approval code for California. Then I'll march down to the court and have this thing "resolved" Funny thing is I work in the Bay area and live in Sacramento, there are plenty of Audi's being driven on the roads here. Not to mention there were several cars driving with "burnt out" rear lights at the time I was ticketed.
Old 12-07-2000, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Reason #1 why I put a second light in last weekend.
Old 12-07-2000, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

oh yeah. Sched 2nd court appearance in No. Arlington, NJ
Old 12-07-2000, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default you are just as likely to get ticketed by a cop as ignorant as this one.

This cop is stupid enough to ticket someone for one fog light, so I'm sure he can create a reason to ticket you for two bright tail lights. If you noticed, one of his reasons was that the single light was too bright. How much effort will it take for him to notice your lights? Even less.

Plus, if you try to defend yourself as this person has, you have a couple of problems:

1. your setup does not match the factory documentation.
2. your setup is not DOT approved.

So if you get a ticket for this, you are actually in violation (with the 2nd fog light) and you could be found guilty of driving with non-DOT approved lights on public roads (or some such charge).
Old 12-07-2000, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Even after you showed him the manual? Then I'm sorry he's really just there to jerk you.

Quick Reply: Anyone encounter problems with rear foglight and overzealous COP