A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Anyone experiencing a rough shift (the actual stick shift motion) from 1st to 2nd gear in a their manual tranny on a 1.8T?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-1999, 06:54 AM
Patrick B.

Default Anyone experiencing a rough shift (the actual stick shift motion) from 1st to 2nd gear in a their manual tranny on a 1.8T?

It seems to be more apparent when it is cold.......any ideas?<p><p>Thanks!<p>1.8Tqm; Santorin Blue Mica; Sports; all-weather;sunroof........
Old 01-27-1999, 07:13 AM
Andy Hedin

Default Patrick: question....

Does it get better once the car gets up to operating temperatures?<p>In cold weather (below 20F) mine is slightly notchy shifting 1st to 2nd until the car gets up to operating temperature, after that it's very smooth.
Old 01-27-1999, 07:36 AM
DaveN

Default I think there might also be a break in period...

The Germans like tight tolerances, and I think what your feeling is the synchro holding you out of gear until speeds mesh. Mine has gotten much better over time so I think it also has to break in, but it is still a little slow when cold. Just work with it, don't force it, and let the parts seat properly.
Old 01-27-1999, 07:57 AM
Patrick B.

If I can recall correctly, it gets better as it warms up......But still &quot;appears&quot; occasionally when driving.....is it still breaking in?
Old 01-27-1999, 08:28 AM
Andrew C.

I've got 3000mi. I've noticed a dramatic decrease in the &quot;grinding&quot;, but it still does happen. Usually right after startup.
Old 01-27-1999, 08:34 AM
Ray Calvo

Default Normal, to me

My Avant is doing it too. Feels similar to my old Couoep Quattro, which felt similarly and tranny was fine when sold car at 132,000 miles. Might mention it to dealer at first service, so you're on record that you feel a problem is there in case tranny REALLY craps out later.
Old 01-27-1999, 10:56 AM
phred

Just get used to it, these are not great shifting cars (but fun to drive)
Old 01-27-1999, 11:07 AM
G. Hale

Same rough shift in my 2.8 as well.
Old 01-27-1999, 02:57 PM
ChuckH

Default Yep! These cars shift like trucks, but...

...the gearboxes seem to hold up over the long haul, and the overall package is soooo much fun. Audi uses pretty heavy gear oil to give ample protection when hot, but this also causes shifting (or lack thereof) to be difficult when cold. <p>Charles<br>
Old 01-27-1999, 03:20 PM
klidge

For what it's worth, I experience the same quirk with my other car, so it may not be idiosyncratic to A4 1.8t's.

Quick Reply: Anyone experiencing a rough shift (the actual stick shift motion) from 1st to 2nd gear in a their manual tranny on a 1.8T?