A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Anyone go from a Spring/Shock setup to a Coilover setup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2001, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone go from a Spring/Shock setup to a Coilover setup?

I was wondering because I have always thought that coilovers ride worse than spring/shocks do. They clunk more and the ride isn't a clean ride. This was until I was in Koni coilover car with 17" on it...ride was pretty nice...but I am looking to get H&R coilovers so I can lower it further then my setup...anyone want to comment that has EXPERIENCE from going spring/shock to coilover. Main difference in feels....etc...What's kind of ironic is the coilovers are cheaper than my spring/shock setup I have right now.
Old 10-06-2001, 02:30 PM
Elder Member

Default i am having this same choice

weather to go for coilovers or a spring/shock setup. i am leaning taward the h&r. however there is also the koni.
Old 10-06-2001, 02:38 PM

Default Re: i am having this same choice

I'm at the same split in the road. Except I want coilovers and don't know which ones. I don't care how much they cost...as long as the dump the car, ride nice, and hold up. If you want some H&R's I know of a good place to get them. E-mail me if you want prices.
Old 10-06-2001, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Haha that's just cause you got ripped off for an ABT setup which costs like 3x what they're worth

we all make mistakes ;-)

I've had spring shock combos in the past...the Neuspeed Sport Bilstein setup...the ride was very comfortable and the car handled quite nicely. Moving to the coil overs I can tell you the ride quality is very much a function of how low you go. I tried my car at about 0.5" higher than it is now and the ride was much more luxo than it currently is. As for, "clunking" I dunno what you mean...sounds a bit like coil overs set so low that the spring pre load is so wimpy that they're just dancing around when you unload one side of the car...that's the price you pay for not using discretion in lowering your car.

Mine don't clunk they don't squeak they don't do squat. I found out last night that my setup can rub (little of the fender liner missing) but only under the most severe corner loads with high steering angles. I'll just have to slow down more for those hard 90 deg downhill turns...or live with a little rubbin.

Regards,

James R.

You're welcome to take a ride in my car...same year right? Mine Q yours is Q pretty much the same car, cept I've got less weight on the front axles from smaller wheels and lighter brakes (though they brakes aren't lighter by much).
Old 10-06-2001, 02:57 PM

Default Hmmm...

Very true...I had to cut off one of my nuts to get my ABT setup. It's alright...cuz I will never be that stupid again. You mentioned that you rubbed? So you think I should go 225 or 235 on my 18's with the coilover setup. Keep in mind I have an 8.5" rim....and also an 8.5"...oops nevermind wrong forum.
Old 10-06-2001, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 225 brotha...

My wheels are 225/45/R17 ET 35 8" width but my offset is changed to ET33 by the 2mm spacer built into the custom hats, and this setup rubbed last night on this one hard right turn in Santiago Canyon, it's one of the first when you go thru the canyon backwards. It was my first run thru there...so now I'll know better. Some of the other guys rubbed as well. There was another car with a Koni Coil Over setup...but they were the, "race" shorter piston version...my car actually sits a bit lower than his...and he rubbed with a set of 17" by 8" wheels. It's really gonna be a function of what tire you get...what the shape of the sidewall is like. The AVS sport thankfully turns in pretty quickly. I think had I a tire with a more vertical sidewall I'd be rubbing a lot more than I do now. On a positive note it has never hit the fender...I'd just die if that happned cause it usually puts ripples in it :-(

Regards,

James R.
Old 10-06-2001, 03:18 PM

Default Ripples? Ouch....

Yeah I wanted to go for 235 because it would fill my rims better and also the fenders better. But now I think it's too much trouble to make them work. But the thing is, there are quite a few people runnin' 235's on there a4/s4....so I am tempted......ARGGHHHH...I can't figure out what I want. Tires? Suspension? Man so many choices.....for tires I opted for the best....SO3's...well at least what some people say. I am pretty sure I am ordering them on Monday...as for suspension I guess I am going with H&R. Hopefully this will be the right choices...I don't want to have to redo everything again like I am now!
Old 10-06-2001, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Ripples? Ouch....

I've got no ripple for the record...just a little fender liner trimmin.

Depends on your offset I dunno what yours is...I feel ya on the 235 thing...they do fit 8.5 better, I've had 8.5 with 225 and it kinda fits ****ty..you need more tire. BUT with the better tires...like the S03 I assume cause I had the S02 (loved them BTW) the rim protector is much fatter...so you might be able to get away with 225. Trust me...you'll be hard pressed to use up the grip afforded by a quality 225 tire...if you do you should probably re-eval your driving skills...or simply slow down.

Regards,

James R.
Old 10-06-2001, 03:51 PM

Default Slow Down?

What?! No way....as long as I can break loose the tires on my car in a corner, there will always be room for improving. =)
Old 10-06-2001, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RKA is on his 3rd or 4th suspension...

He started out with OEM sport suspension, but then upgraded to KW coilovers. He didn't like them.

Then switched to Eibach Prokits with Bilsteins, and didn't like those either.

Now he has H&R coilovers set to a somewhat high setting -- about the same height as H&R sports, maybe slightly lower. And last I heard, he loves the setup.

Raj, are you here to comment?

-- Peter

Quick Reply: Anyone go from a Spring/Shock setup to a Coilover setup?