A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Anyone got info on Mobil 1 synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone got info on Mobil 1 synthetic?

I just had a buddy of mine drop off 5 quarts of 5w30 Mobil 1 synthetic at the dealership yesterday for my 30K service. He told me he got the new one, but now I am hearing something about how the new Mobil 1 is not a true synthetic. How many Mobil 1 synthentics are there and which one is the new one? Pictures anyone? I didn't see which one he bought for me...
Old 04-26-2002, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i haven't heard any evidence that the new one isn't "fully" synthetic

but there seems to be a lot of evidence that points to that fact. noone has gotten a straight answer from mobil 1.

the 0w40 formula is the same, i would use it. if not, use amsoil - it's fully synthetic.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Re: Anyone got info on Mobil 1 synthetic?

As far as I know, all the Mobil-1's are fully synthetic.

Even if there _are_ some that aren't, the Mobil-1 I buy has the words "Fully synthetic" right on the can, so if you're in doubt, just look for that.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:02 AM

Default What is the new one called?

And what was the old one called...all I know is my friend bought the new mobil one or something...I'm trying to figure out what is what.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:06 AM
Former Vendor

Default Correct

Mobil 1 has changed it forumulation. Full Synthetic is just a phrase, that unfortunately no longer means what it used to. This was a result of a lawsuit with Castrol. Read more about it in VWVortex.<ul><li><a href="http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=313674">Mobil 1</a></li></ul>
Old 04-26-2002, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Read up on it here -->

The new formulation (called SuperSyn) is hitting the shelves right now. It is replacing the old (current) Tri-Synthetic Formula. However, Mobil already started shipping the new stuff with the old labels (transition period, don't say SuperSyn), so look on the back: If it meets the SJ standard, it is the old stuff. If it only says SL, it's the new stuff, and apparently, this new stuff is not so good (as good/bad as Castrol Syntec). Mobil calls it the best Mobil 1 ever, however, they have not been able to substantiate it when asked by consumers. To the contrary, some guy on VW Vortex did some analysis of it and it looks worse than the old stuff. Read more here - especially the graphs on page 4 of the thread linked below.

I can't comment on how small/big the effects of this formula change will be in real life. Probably not big enough to lose your sleep over it...<ul><li><a href="http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=313674&page=1">http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=313674&page=1</a</li></ul>
Old 04-26-2002, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Expert

damnit... beat me to it ;-)
Old 04-26-2002, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm going to email the chem.Eng. I know at Mobil and find out... I'll post whatever I come up with.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:13 AM

Default Here is the real info. I've been following this closely for sometime.

Old Mobil 1 = tri-sythetic SJ API rating
New Mobil 1 = SuperSyn SL API rating.

the new SL rating was required by all oils dino and synthetic to extend drain intervals and reduce oil consumption.

DO NOT be swayed by the fact that an oil is labeled as synthetic. This does not mean it is true synthetic. In 1997 Mobil sued Castol for labeling their oil as Synthetic when it contained Group III basestocks, which are inferior and close if not dino oil refined with additives.

Mobil lost the case, so basically you can label your oil synthetic even though it is not true synthetic. The question people are asking is where Mobil took a 'If you can't beat em join em' attitude

Basically Mobil could stop using superior Group IV and V basestocks and use Group III still label it as synthetic and charge the same price. Profit goes up and the nieve consumer doesn't know the difference.

Did they do this? It is not proven either way. If you call Mobils tech hotline they will say no Group III base stocks are used in the new forumlation, however pour point has risen and Viscosity Index and flash point has dropped a bit.

Bascially pour point is the lowest temp at which the oil is still fluid. Flash point is the tempature at which the vapors coming from the oil will ignite into flames.

That is bad because when the oil starts vaporizing it is breaking down and will leave less protection for your engine.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Old: Tri-Syntethic; New: SuperSyn, however....

apparenty some of the new stuff was already shipped to the stores with the old Tri-Synthetic labeled bottles. But on the back it will say SL if it's the new stuff, and SJ/SL if it's the old stuff. Read my post above...<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1154768.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1154768.phtml</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Anyone got info on Mobil 1 synthetic?