A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Anyone gotten pulled over for speeding...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone gotten pulled over for speeding...

And had the cop tell you "I paced you at 52 in a 35". The ticket says "Paced by vehicle ###". Apparently I wasn't clocked via laser or radar.

He couldn't have been "pacing" me more that 100 yards as I was on this road for maybe 1/4 mile. He definitely wasn't behind me more than 100 yards before turning on his lights. I looked down at my speed when I saw the lights come on and I was doing 46mph.

It's only a measly 2 point offense but this is the most bogus ticket I've ever gotten. Any sure fire ways of beating this?

Argh, I hate traffic cops. Or should I say local revenue cops. =(
Old 01-19-2003, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Definitely challenge it...

His speedo could easily be out of calibration (most are to some degree). Check your local laws and lookup the law that you're cited under for starters.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:05 PM

Default I got a ticket for suspicion of speeding once. :/

Stupid country hick cops on the Alabama backroads like to prey on us 'city slicker' types.

This was a long time ago, and I didn't bother to fight it. It was out of town, and I wouldn't have been able to make the court date.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:30 PM

Default WTH is suspicion of speeding?

lol....that's almost hilarious. I wonder what fun tickets they would give someone with NY plates.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:32 PM

Default The whole thing revolves around the proving you did it.

Just exactly how can they prove you were speeding, there is no evidence such as a printout or reading from a radar or lidar gun. Basically its his crapy *** speedo vs your VDO.

What you have to do is present it in this way.

Since you were "paced" by another vehicle and spedos can be highly inacurate because they are not calibrated regularly.

When was the last time that the cops car's spedo was calibrated?

Look for the shadow of a doubt, move into it, set up a tent, get comfy, put up an audi flag.

Is there any proof that it was calibrated on said date.

If not, then any possible reading from said spedo could be highly inacurate due to the nature of the use of the police vehicle.

We have just established that the equipment the cop used to "pace" you might not be reliable and as such what he read as 52mph may not have been 52mph.

Unless they can prove that the spedo was accurate, its bull****. This is why they calibrate the radar guns with tuning forks.

If they use the tuning fork with the wrong serial number for that particular gun, the calibration is inacurate and as such the readings are not valid in a court of law.

Thinking
-Phil
Old 01-19-2003, 12:43 PM

Default You'd be lucky to get off with just a ticket. ;)

I can hear the deliverance music now...
Old 01-19-2003, 12:49 PM

Default Re: The whole thing revolves around the proving you did it.

Not only does it have to be calibrated but it has to be calibrated by a certified spedo calibration shop of which there are very few. It could also be calibrated by a radar gun but that must be calibrated by a tuning fork and the chance that records exist for that are slim. Chances are it was never calibrated so fight it.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:07 PM

Squeeeeeeeeel!!!!
Old 01-19-2003, 01:37 PM

Default if you ever Do get hit with radar.. ask them to produce thier FCC license...

chances are they wont have it on them, not only can you fight on the reasons above for calibration, but they have to be licensed for operating radar ( best if used with non state autorities)
as for the prob with the 'pacing' other calibration issues include tire size, and all the other probs associtated with calibration... most likley if you fight it, the cop will plead down to 'faliure to obey a posted sign" no points, but still a fine...( damn those NY state troopers and patterson NY)... \
check to see how much of a tool the judge is too... if hes okay, then you might get away with it, but if hes one of those hard asses... then you could prove everything your way, and he still would side with the cop ( read: revenue for his municipality)...
Old 01-19-2003, 02:00 PM

Default I'll have to rent Deliverance tonight, just in case

I go to the BBQ. I will need all the preparation I can get

Quick Reply: Anyone gotten pulled over for speeding...