A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Anyone hear a rattle when they shut their doors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-1999, 07:38 PM
ChrisWB

Default Anyone hear a rattle when they shut their doors?

I can't seem to locate it. It sounds like it's coming from the engine compartment or from underneath the car. Something rattles for like 1/4 of a second when a door is shut. Shaking the car doesn't replicate it. Car only has 2000 miles.<p>Anyone hear of this or have any idea?<p>ChrisWB<br>99 1.8tqm
Old 03-23-1999, 08:39 PM
Kyle Bailey

Default Window up or down?

It seems to be common for the door/window to rattle when the door is closed with the window down.<p>Kyle
Old 03-23-1999, 09:37 PM
ChrisWB

All windows closed. It may be coming from wheel area - sounds like a loose clamp or something. Arrgh!
Old 03-23-1999, 10:02 PM
Dmak

Default Maybe it's...

Maybe it's the same problem that someone had on the forum a while ago.. The problem was the manual tool to close the sunroof located in the fuse box area might have loosened... This might be causing the problem.. check it out.. Hope this helps...<p>Dmak 1.8TQMS
Old 03-23-1999, 10:08 PM
KeremD

Default If it is the same thing happened to me.........

Mine was definitely coming from the wheel area. It was stronger when I shut the drivers side door. I took it to the dealer and the found that one of the screws that keep the front stone guard ( I think this is what it is called. It is the plastic protector under the engine area)was not there. They put a new screw and charged me for the labor and the part since they believe I bottomed the car and let the screw fall. Hope this helps.
Old 03-24-1999, 02:44 AM
Bill

Yes, same thing, driver side when shutting the driver door. Sounds like it's in the wheel well.
Old 03-24-1999, 03:27 AM
T2

Default Maybe same hear

I have a brief rattle type noise when I close the driver's door also - it's kind of a muffled rattle. I would say it's coming from the door however - I'll listen more closely. Maybe it is from the wheel well. Only on the driver's side. Interesting.<p>Tom<br>1.8TQMS Silver/Ecru
Old 03-24-1999, 03:51 AM
Timothy Buck

Default Same here, only on driver's side, sounds like it's coming from the wheel well.

NT
Old 03-24-1999, 04:36 AM
Sean G

Default Probably a loose screw on lower plastic engine shield...

Several of us have experienced a similar problem. Close the door and a metallic rattle/vibration occurs. It seems to be coming from the wheel well. If you thump the tire with a fist you can recreate the noise. Check the screws that hold up the plastic engine shield underneath the engine. It takes as little as 1/4 turn loose to cause this noise.<p>Sean<br>97 1.8Tqm<ul><li><a href="http://www.seansa4page.com">Sean's A4 Page</a></li></ul>
Old 03-24-1999, 08:20 AM
keith

Default Re: Anyone hear a rattle when they shut their doors?

It might be the front edge of the hood, it seems to do that on my car, need to get the dealer to look at it. I noticed it washing the car last weekend.

Quick Reply: Anyone hear a rattle when they shut their doors?