A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Anyone for power steering pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone for power steering pumps?

Messy.....noisy.....a lot of whining...troublesome.....expensive and leaky! Does this sound like your power steering pump or your wife or girlfriend? Either way I am looking for advice....can these be rebuilt on the A4 2.8-12V? I know at one time it was possible with the pumps on the 5000's, 200's etc. And all with a cheap seal kit. Alternately rebuild kits for the wife are not entirely reliable or cheap and the results can be devastating (see Meg Ryan aka " Trout Lips") as I remember the results on the pumps were not all that good either if not done with an attention to detail. However has anyone rebuilt one or at least tryed......power steering pump that is! And before anyone pipes in with why it's cheaper to buy one and you need special tools....again I am refering to the pump.....it's all about the challenge of owning an Audi!!!!!

And in case anyone is interested:http://craigslol.com/girlfriend-forcing-sale/
Old 04-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Alright I have done some digging and have come up with the following:

I have found listings for rebuild kits for the early A6's and late Audi 90 models with the 2.8-12V. Pumps look very similar and the rebuild kits I have found seem generic across the years and cover Audi, BMW, Porsche and several other makers that use ZF vane type pumps. The kit comes with some additional seals that may not be required so I think I am going to have a go and will post my findings....hey $22 and a bit of labor is better than the rebuilt prices that I have little faith in (as I went through several of these years ago with my 5000Q & 200Q), I would rather be held accountable for my own actions when it comes to a rebuilt part than pay a high price for someones elses mistakes.

I found a great site that carries p/s pump kits and also carries kits for rebuilding steering racks: www.pskits.com. If you get on you tube you can view a ZF pump for a 944 being rebuilt with one of these kits....quick and easy with only a few basic hand tools. Not saying the Audi will be the same but a good base to work from.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

The whole power steering/hydralic power brake system on my 5000 CS Turbo was a massive hastle. I had that pump thing out to change seals too, also the leaky brake booster, which had a rigged-up catch can to reclaim some of the CHF-11 that I was constantly buying. That's why my '96 A4 is a joy and mystery at the same time; it doesn't leak anything!
Old 04-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Your right the 5000 was a nightmare especially when the resevoir ran dry and you could not apply the brakes even when standing on the pedal. Luckily my 200Q was not a leaker until late in it's life with me, it had been owned by the owner of the local Audi dealership and was maintained very well and came with a novel for a service history...it was only in the last months of several years of ownership that it gave me any trouble so I dumped it as I was more interested in going mudding and got back into Land Rovers. I do love the catch can idea to recoup the lost fluid. However my pump on the A4 is leaking so I am going to forge ahead and explore the rebuild idea, at the end of the day it's the cost of a can of Pentosin for the seal kit....actually less where I am so I have nothing to lose but more fluid.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Good luck - not easy to get to these so I hope the kits work
Old 04-23-2010, 04:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My A4 is currently under the proverbial knife with the heads off and the front end removed so it should be relatively straight forward (I feel completely liberated with the front end off), I have several other items I am tinkering with as time allows so I am ready for another challenge at this point. After taking a good look at the pump last night it's almost identical to the style of pump in the instructional video that is on Youtube for the Porsche ZF pump, I do not forsee any difficulties taking the pump apart to replace the seals. As I said I will attempt to do a write up with time allowing as a $22 rebuild for a $200 part (that is typically a rebuild) is a gem of a repair.