A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Anyone tried RJ's DIY Sports Grill in A4 FAQ? Any luck?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-1999, 03:40 PM
CP

Anyone tried RJ's DIY Sports Grill in A4 FAQ? Any luck?
Old 12-21-1999, 06:34 PM
Robert Jordan

Default Your post reminds me, it's about time for an update on FAQ....

I first painted the chrome trim on the OEM grill using spray on primer and paint intended for auto touch-up (bought at Wal-Mart for about $4 a can).

I must say that it held up better than I thought it would, lasting through many thousands of miles and dozens of car washes (hand wash, wand wash and touchless variety). Minor rock chips were easily touched up using a Testors paint pen (check out the hobby section of Wal-Mart).

After nearly a year, I decided it was time for an 'upgrade'.

On the recomendation of a friend who runs a body shop, I bought some Bulldog brand "Paint Adhesion Promoter" at AutoZone and some Wurth's gloss black paint (Griot's Garage).

I sanded off the old primer/paint and used the Bulldog/Wurth's combo. Well, it's been about three months now and I can tell you that the Wurth's is a much better paint than the cheap stuff. It is much blacker and matches the brilliant black paint on my A4 much better (I know that sounds strange, but the cheap stuff looked a little brown compared to the Audi black).

I am a little disappointed in the performance of the Bulldog product. While it claims to be ideal for painting chrome trim, I think the primer does a better job.

I'll try Eastwood's or Wurth's primers this spring and keep you-all posted.

In summation: I think the DIY paint job on the OEM grill is worth the effort. I actually perfer the look of the OEM grill to the metal mesh grills, I just don't care for the chrome trim. Anyone know where I could have the chrome plated plastic trim powdercoated or plated black?

Happy Holidays
Robert Jordan
'97 1.8tM Bose/CD/Sunroof/Armrest/Splashguards/5-spoke rims/Clear Corners/DIY Sport Grill/Etc.
Old 12-21-1999, 06:46 PM
Waiting anxiously for Book 9

Why aren't you working on the Wheel of Time??
Old 12-21-1999, 07:00 PM
Just another Robert Jordan

Default It's much more fun to surf AudiWorld instead!

Besides, if I were Robert Jordan, the aurthor, I'd be out driving one of my S4s. :-P
Old 12-21-1999, 08:29 PM
jasyn

i thought book 8 was long winded and covered what? .. 3days or something? bleh. nt
Old 12-22-1999, 09:38 AM
Smart Ass :)

Is the food good? What sports do they show on the big screen TV?