A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Anyone use Armour All on their dash? How did it come out? Would you recommend it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2000, 12:10 PM
John C

Anyone use Armour All on their dash? How did it come out? Would you recommend it?
Old 01-23-2000, 12:20 PM
Ryan

I don't recomend it, may cause your dash to crack, and it looks greasy
Old 01-23-2000, 12:57 PM
will

Default Re: Anyone use Armour All on their dash? How did it come out? Would you recommend it?

No. Armour All uses silicone and attracts dust, plus it's must too shiny. Lots of dashboard glare. I've also heard it can cause cracks. Use Vinylx from lexol. You can get it at a lot of car dealers.
Old 01-23-2000, 03:16 PM
Manny

Default Works Fine! I have used it since '96 on my A4.

I have a '96 and '97 A4. I also have a '99 A8. Armor All works great. I have never had a dash crack and all of my cars look like the day they were bought - actually better - so my dealer says. Any of these products may crack an old uncared-for dash. If you start using it when new, you won't have problems. I have used Armor All on every car I have had since the early '80s and never have had any problems. Use a leather product (Armor All makes one too) on the leater seats, though. Regular Armor All is great for plastic, rubber and vinyl.
Old 01-23-2000, 06:36 PM
axel

Default Re: I don't recomend it, may cause your dash to crack, and it looks greasy

Ryan is right do not use that on your dash or any part of your ride. Axel
Old 01-23-2000, 08:26 PM
Ryan

Maybe your used to it, maybe it's fine...freind uses it on del Sol, cracks/lines are more apparent.
Old 01-24-2000, 04:39 AM
DaveL

Armor All is the worst...makes your tires brown. Use Vinylex by Lexol. More expensive but worth it.
Old 01-24-2000, 06:15 AM
cj

Default The Armour All "Rumours" ?

Whenever someone mentions Armour All, especially on internet sites (this one included) there are a bunch of posts about it containing silicon and causing cracked dashes and such. I had used Armour All over the years without any such problems but these comments caused me concern and I stopped using it for a while. Then I started to do some informal research and to date I've never found any hard evidence that Armour All or any of it's components can cause damage to dashes ect. I also spoke to a number of people like myself who used Armour All over the years and have been happy with the results.FWIW, I use it on my 98.5 onyx leatherette interior as well as my Subaru Outback. The key is to buff the surfaces after they dry to remove the "oily" gleen and reduce the dust attraction. I only use it on the interior of the car. Other products might be better (ie. Lexol claims cleaning properties), but sometimes Armour All is the most convienient for me to get and until I see some validated reseach that proves otherwise, I treat the damage rumors as such.
Old 01-24-2000, 07:29 AM
Dave M

Default Re: Anyone use Armour All on their dash? How did it come out? Would you recommend it?

For what it's worth, Vinylex contains silicone, too. I do not think that silicone in and of itself is bad in car products, it is how it is combined with other compounds in those products that determines if it is good or bad. From what I have read, the problem with Armour All is that it contains formaldahyde and that is what is resposible for the drying out (browing, cracking, etc.) of the surfaces it is applied to.

I'm not sure if the formulation of Armour All has changed or not, but when I did use it (a long time ago) I did notice my tires browing if I did not keep it applied regularly. I also noticed small cracking in the sidewall rubber. I have since been using Meguiar's #40 vinyl & rubber cleaner/conditioner and have not experienced these problems.

Dave M - '97 1.8tm, sport, sunroof
Old 01-24-2000, 01:29 PM
Mac

I've used the low gloss for many years, and no problems on my Accord or A4.