A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Anyone use Lucas Oil Stabilizer? Tell me about it...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone use Lucas Oil Stabilizer? Tell me about it...
Old 08-16-2004, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default i did, and never will again after reading this.....

<ul><li><a href="http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm">http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 08-16-2004, 06:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why do you think you need one?
Old 08-16-2004, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default additives are very attractive, but....................

....imo, if you change your oil as directed, they a are not necessary. im sure there are a few that might work, but which ones? i have seen no conclusive evidence by anyone yet that a particular additive had an appreciable effect. as for the lucas, when i first saw it i asked my mechanic about it and he swears by it, but after reading that link i quickly removed it from my car, and guess what. i pulled the dipstick, lol, pulled the dipstick, ha ha. sorry it's early. but i did and sure enough there was a bit of air bubbles or froth on the stick. for all i know that crap could have caused the lifter in my car to start making noise, at 40k!! you have to consider also that were not talking about a NA car also, what happens when the additive flows through that super hot turbo??? answer...? maybe nothing, but why take the chance. the only 2 additives i have ever had any luck with are Restore and Rislone.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default hehe... I was going to give him this link after others have responded with their own experiences...

The question is (for yellow A4 Q): why do you think your car needs an oil additive in the first place? Is there a specific problem that you're trying to address?

Todays oils are pretty good and they do their jobs without a need for any additives. Oils already have additive packages mixed in the right proportions and it took the oil makers years to figure out the right stuff. If they thought something like LC was needed in their oils, they would have added it themselves.

If you're trying to stop leaks, I'd suggest doing it the right way and replacing the leaky gaskets. Dumping questionable crap into the crankcase is probably not the smartest thing to do. Don't give into the marketing propaganda. Oh yeah, while we're at it, stay away from BOSE too. :-)
Old 08-16-2004, 09:27 AM

Default My car runs fine and is really well maintained. I just got Motule 5W40 for it...

I change oil on a regular intervals, it used to be about 9-10K but now that the car is getting older its 7-8K. Make the engine last well into the 200K range. ; )

I thought of an additive because of the climbing mileage on the engine 140K. It was more of a thought. I destroyed a 1.8 16 valver on my Scirocco by adding Motor Up, more like motorcrap.
All of the crank bearings went within a month...

My main inquiry about Lucas additives was to extend the longetivity of my beloved (expensive) engine.

I really appreciate the feedback on lucas. I have never used an oil additive in my Audi and don't plan to ever use one in the future. Especially after reading the above link.