A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

AoA stole my ECU (long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2001, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AoA stole my ECU (long)

I took my car in for scheduled maintenance recently. I again mentioned a problem that I had complained about since I got the car, over 5000 miles before I chipped it. Nothing major, more of an annoyance. I brought the car into the dealer in "stock mode." After installing the chip it did not give off any codes, but I did not check it before taking it into the dealer. I disconnected the battery prior to bringing it in and drove it for a day in "stock mode."

When I picked up the car, I noticed that on the invoice it said "replaced ecu"

The service writer didnt say a word when I picked up the car.

I went to investigate, and noticed the hex screws on the ECU were sealed with what looked like locktite(sp). I opened it up and there was a new ECU board and the letter from AoA about software upgrades.

I don't believe the ECU was the source of the problem and chipping had nothing to do with it. In fact, they replace another part that was the source of the problem. Strangely, with the chip, the problem was less apparent. I believe they used "bad codes" from the ECU to justify replacing it.

I'm considering two scenarios:

a)The ecu was bad, and I should be stoked that the dealer replaced it when it had been modified.

b)The ecu was not bad, and this is AoA's new plan for combatting ECU modification: claiming its bad because of low voltage or other codes, sealing the new unmodified ECU and placing the letter inside the ECU. Is the tech driving around with my ECU is his car now? Or has it been whisked off to some remote AoA lab?

However, I'm disgusted that the dealer didnt say a word. I'm considering giving the dealer the lowest rating for all scores to bring this to their and AoA's attention. Moreover, I'm pretty sure I will now be driving approximately 1 hour to the next dealer for service.

Has anyone had a similar experience? What happened when the dealer found that your modified ECU was bad?

Lastly, and most important, what's the best source for a new ECU?

And yes ... names have been changed to protect the innocent.
Old 08-16-2001, 03:13 PM
Elder Member

You mean you're going to let the dealer keep your chip?? go get it back!
Old 08-16-2001, 03:18 PM

Dude they stole your chip! Go get it back
Old 08-16-2001, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Which dealership?
Old 08-16-2001, 03:20 PM

madtowner de wisconsin(? everything)'s Avatar

If the orig.prob. is gone, maybe it's a blessing.~
Old 08-16-2001, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Dude, if someone stole your kidney, you should be less pissed, can live on dialisis, but not w/o chp
Old 08-16-2001, 03:21 PM

they didnt get the chip ... just the socketed ECU
Old 08-16-2001, 03:24 PM

Default What kind of chip did you have?

I thought they had no way of detecting the APR chip unless they actually opened up the ECU itself.
Old 08-16-2001, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Uhm.... that's kind of illegal you know.....

The dealer must have you authorize any work done to your car. Any work they do without your authorization is ILLEGAL - without question.

My advice to you would be to immediatly call up the Store manager, demand your chipped ECU back, and if they refuse say you will no longer be dealing with them and they will be hearing from your attorney the next morning.

I would try to research the net a little bit, site the actual paragraphs or sections of the law to your dealer.... Usually, knowledge always scares a dealer.
Old 08-16-2001, 03:37 PM
Elder Member

In any case they took something that was YOURS! They have no right to do that!

Quick Reply: AoA stole my ECU (long)