A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

AoA and Warranty parts legal Question. Ticked Off .....(long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-1999, 01:06 PM
Mark F

Default AoA and Warranty parts legal Question. Ticked Off .....(long)

Do I have the right to keep the original part fixed on my car? (read on)

The lower control of my A4 1.8 broke, in such a way that the car was still driveable. Something to do with the ball joint or something - they haven't been all that specific. It took 4 weeks for the part to finally come in and now they are telling me that the earliest they can replace the part is next monday. I told my service guy that I wanted to keep the part for my records in case anything else goes wrong with that corner I might need to show what the damage was to the original control arm.

They told me they won't give me the part because they are replacing it under warranty and that they have to get the part back to check to se that the dealer is not replacing parts that don't need replacing. The AoA rep couldn't tell me what happens to the part after that.

I was under the impression that I should be able to keep all the parts repaired or replaced on my car. Anybody have any legal eagle info on whether I have the right to keep this part for my personal records?

Thanks,,

Mark F
Old 09-14-1999, 01:12 PM
Greg Davis

Default Tell them to hold the part until you get there. take pictures of it and keep them for records ...

along with the service receipt. This is usually enough. make sure you date the pictures as well.
Old 09-14-1999, 01:19 PM
Mark F

thanks for that - I was just thinking the same thing.
Old 09-14-1999, 01:29 PM
DaveL

Default It makes sense that Audi would want the parts back.

If a part were replaced under warranty, it would make sense for Audi to want it back not only as a check so dealers are replacing parts that truly need replacing, but also to determine if the part failure was due to a manufacturing defect. If it is a defect that keeps occuring they can pinpoint the cause and rectify it.

The suggestion to take photos is a good one. Also, make sure the work order clearly specifies the work that was done, the parts replaced, and that it was completed under warranty. Mine have been suffciently detailed.
Old 09-14-1999, 02:43 PM
A. Udi

Aluminum control arm would make nice door stop or doorknob too
Old 09-14-1999, 03:22 PM
stanj

Legally, it's the property of who's paying for the repair - Audi. Just take pics.
Old 09-14-1999, 07:03 PM
Raeck

Actually...you have a legal right to have the parts back, it's the law!
Old 09-15-1999, 06:05 AM
DaveL

Really? Even if you don't pay for the repair?
Old 09-15-1999, 06:37 AM
Roy S.

Default When the repair is done under warranty....

When the repair is done under warranty-the part does NOT go to the consumer. In every state the customer has the right to have the parts returned provided they are not dangerous, too large/heavy, or need to go back to the manufacturer. All dealers that replace parts under warranty, must hold these parts for a specified period of time (the manufacturer dictates this), In many cases when the warranty claim is reviewed by the district service manager, he/she may examine the parts to ensure that they did indeed need replacement (protect the manufacturer and consumer from warrany fraud), and this system provides real-world info on what parts are failing and why? This info goes back to the engineers for future improvements. Your receipt (your copy of the repair order) should list your complaint, what was found, and what parts were replaced. This is you record for the future. Also, any warranty work done can be accessed from any Audi dealer, dealers have what is called DCS (dealer communication system), by inputing the VIN #, the dealer can get delivery date, complete warranty history, outstanding recalls, key codes, etc.... Save your reciepts and quit worrying.