A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Appropriate response for a door ding.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-1998, 09:14 AM
Dan M.

Default Appropriate response for a door ding.

I'm just curious, what would you guys have done to a person's car who you caught dinging your door and walking away? In other words, the guy dings your door, denies the same and then just walks away leaving his quite new vehicle parked next to yours.<p>Mind you, this is the first ding on your up to then pristine 9 month old car.<p>I'm just curious what the social more's are here.
Old 11-23-1998, 09:21 AM
Koushik

Default Do not retaliate directly !! (more..)

<br>It would be very bad form (and also risky) to reciprocate the heinous act. What I'd do if the other guy's car is still there is to find a police officer and show him what happened; also take photos of the "crime scene," including one with the offending car's license plate. Then you could go for a small-claims case to get the body shop bill paid for. <p>Whatever you do, do not stoop to touching the other guy's car!!<p>$0.02<br>-K.
Old 11-23-1998, 09:21 AM
Rob Mack

Default Re: Appropriate response for a door ding.

Wait till he walks far away and then let all the air out of his tires? Then drive off fast. Or smash his headlights? Or even...DING HIM BACK. But bigger! Keying him also is great. But here in NYC we just break a window and **** in his drivers seat. And then dump on it. Just kidding.
Old 11-23-1998, 09:24 AM
Rob Mack

Default Re: Do not retaliate directly !! (more..)

Just what our overworked and underpaid police need: to be called out for a door ding! They have to deal REAL CRIMES, not this everyday stuff. Trust me, a door ding is BAD, but it's not worthy of a policeman's time or effort. What's he going to do, fingerprint the car for evidence? Come on...
Old 11-23-1998, 09:29 AM
chrisd

Default First hand sight acompanied by disregard requires retort

I would not feel any remorse in inflicting a similar ding under cloak. Particularly because the perpatrator wantonly dismisses your accusation despite your first hand knowledge and immediate affront.<p>However, be cautious because in the still of night, a vengeful antagonist may seek additional respite.<p>Further, you must scour the grounds for the tool of your challenge because surely you will not return the favor with the door of your A4.<p>Tips:<br>1) a grocery store cart would be smart<br>2) a false trip, with key in hand, would be hip<br>3) a stone launched from afar should not be barred<p>good luck
Old 11-23-1998, 09:51 AM
Kevin S

Default I hate people who think a car is just a mode of transport.

<br>Personally, I think if the person tells me to "F*ck off", I would probably kick in both his/her (I am an equal opportuninty @sshole) taillights aswell as planting a firm boot into his/her door.<p>However, if I got a sincere apology from the person, I would accept it, because accidents do happen.<p>I never park near anyone (if possible), I've been known to walk 5-10 minutes just for a secure spot.<p>Kevin<br>1990 Jetta GTX w/VR6 swap<br>(A4 1.8TQMS due in March)<br>
Old 11-23-1998, 10:01 AM
Brad Bilut

What works better is to have a tire stem core remover handy. Theis happened to a friend of mine when we were in High School. Somebody removed all four cores out of the tire stems. We had an air pump in the trunk did do any good.
Old 11-23-1998, 10:15 AM
Edmund F

Default Appropriate response...

Ding his car with your key,<br>A4 key is quite sharp...<br>good luck.<br>
Old 11-23-1998, 10:21 AM
Kyle

Default Re: Do not retaliate directly !! (more..)

Koushik,<p>Thanks for adding some maturity and dignity. I'm glad there are some decent people in this society.
Old 11-23-1998, 10:24 AM
Kyle

Don't retaliate. If he denies doing the deed, tell him you witnessed it first hand and that you are going to report a hit and run if he doesn't provide you with his insurance info. If he still tells you to get lost, take down his license number and call your insurance agent. Property damage is property damage.<p>If that doesn't work, relax. It's just a car. There are a number of "paintless" dent removal businesses (DentPro for instance) that will fix the ding for 75 bucks. On a $35K car, that's nothing.

Quick Reply: Appropriate response for a door ding.