A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Appropriate response for a door ding.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-1998, 10:38 AM
CraigB

Default You people scare me...

I know what it's like to have your car defiled, but get over it and get it fixed. If you can find the guilty party and make him/her pay...great! Otherwise, poop's gonna happen and you just have to deal with it. If retaliating TRULY makes you feel better, seek professional help. 8^)<p>CraigB
Old 11-23-1998, 10:45 AM
Kelly J

Default Re: First hand sight acompanied by disregard requires retort

I would require that he open the door and see if<br>the position of the door matches the dink-site.<br>If it matches exactly, he would need to write me<br>a check or I would cash one for him!!! disrespect=<br>retort<br>
Old 11-23-1998, 10:46 AM
Glenn R

Default Tooltip of the day: If yopu have to park amongst other vehicles, pick ones with 4DRs. They don't swing open as far.

In your case (and yes, hind-sight is 20/20), I would ignore the guy (so you don't tip him off as to your intentions. That way he won't get your plate #), then when you are sure he is out of sight, heel his door real good like. Keep some super-glue in your glove box. It works really well in keyholes. Since I am so tolerant of the stupidity exhibited by the morons of our society, I would never do this... :-)
Old 11-23-1998, 10:53 AM
Rick B.

Default Get Real...

The next time you go complaining about how bad crime is or not feeling like your kids are safe, think about your concerns and responses here. You can get a door ding fixed...and very well I might add (been there in my A4) Why perpetuate things like this over a car that can be fixed? Forgive the guy, move on and make sure you don't fall into the characterless rut as the person who dinged you. Who knows? You may even teach him a thing about unselfish decency.<br>
Old 11-23-1998, 10:56 AM
jfl

Default Just a little story regarding door dings....

<br>I agree with glen, park next to 4 doors and cops dont have time to deal with **** owners like myself. My1.8T is 2 years old, its been hit 3x, each time it was parked, but anyway, the only ding i've ever got was, believe it or not, from a freakin' cop car!!!
Old 11-23-1998, 11:05 AM
Jeff M

Default Caught her!

I caught a lady whos son had just nailed my driver side door with the back door on her honda accord station wagon. Luckily she was very polite about it and I got the $60 out of her to have the dent removed.<p>I was considering abducting her son and holding him for ransom but luckily for me she 'fessed up. Kidding but anyway, I can relate to every post under this topic. It's like the cartoons when I was a kid with the angel and the devil on my shoulder. No I don't need psych. help.
Old 11-23-1998, 11:39 AM
Gramps

Default Door Dings Are Your Fault!!!

Anyone who really cares about their car and doesn't want a door ding, takes responsibility and takes positive action. It is very seldom, including airport parking lots, etc. where there isn't at least one "premium" space. Yes, it may be a short or perhaps long walk, and yes it may be in the rain or snow, but there is always one...you know the one at the end of the row that is on the passenger's side of space next to it.<p>Besides, if you had purchased a lighter color, the dings wouldn't show as much.<p><br>gramps 2.8sqm 850 miles and counting<p><br>ps. ask my kids about where I park. They have complained all their life, but now they park in the same places or get dings
Old 11-23-1998, 11:47 AM
DH

Default Get over it and repair only if likely to incur a penalty at the end of my lease

Seriously guys, it is just a car.<p>When I was 21, I was hit head-on by a drunk driver, lost my best friend in the accident, spent four months in the hospital, six months in physical therapy, lost my athletic scholarship, and lost a very decent opportunity to become a professional athlete.<p>I had just settled my lawsuit and bought my dream car. I had the car less than two weeks when a drunk ran off the road, into a restaurant parking lot, smashed my dream car, and slammed it into the side of the restaurant. Luckily, I was not in the car but witnessed most of the event from inside the restaurant. At first, I wanted to kill the drunk. My friends chased me out the door and calmed me down a bit. Then I just busted out laughing. The car is fixed and I still have it today. It (sh**) happens and door dings just don't phase me anymore.
Old 11-23-1998, 11:48 AM
Jon C

Default Re: Appropriate response for a door ding.: the best answer

Kyle is correct... leaving aside whether it's wise to confront the person at all: by letting the person know you've seen it & will report if he fails to provide insurance info., when he leaves it's now hit & run (property damage), which is a more serious offense and perhaps a criminal violation. If he denies it I'd get the license and VIN and ask for his insurance information. If he leaves, then it's a hit & run and it's reportable to authorities. Responding in kind is tempting but will likely only lead to bigger trouble for you.
Old 11-23-1998, 11:50 AM
phred

Default Oh cmon

Hasn't something like this ever happened to you? You really have to fight the urge to rearrange someone's features.<p>But the good news is, from the tone of the message this person didn't do anything, is just wondering what they SHOULD have done. So that's a good thing (quote Martha).<br>

Quick Reply: Appropriate response for a door ding.