A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Appropriate response for a door ding.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-1998, 12:13 PM
CraigB

Default Oh, I think about it alright...

...if you don't you're hardly human; but, I've never acted on my retaliatory thoughts (not yet, anyway). I hope most people here are joking, but some sound pretty serious about getting even. I just hope I'm not the one that parks next to them, when they think I've dinged their car. 8^)<p>As for the original post, I would be fuming at the guy, if I had caught him red-handed; but, what can you do?<p>CraigB
Old 11-23-1998, 12:24 PM
CraigB

Default Hit and run...

I hardly think this qualifies as hit and run. Also, what if a 5 year old kid caused the ding...are they gonna send him to jail? I hardly think so. Malicious mischief?, maybe; hit and run?, definitely not!<p>CraigB
Old 11-23-1998, 12:44 PM
wolverine

Default yeah, but...

You park way out in nowheresville in the last spot, edged over as far as possible, then that Ford Expedition thinks that you did it just so he could edge over next to you, the 5 year old girl opens the passenger door...<br>wham!<br>There's just no escaping it. <br>Who was the poster here who said he would ding his car as soon as he got it so that he could know that HE was the one to create the first ding!
Old 11-23-1998, 01:03 PM
Jason C

Here Here!!!
Old 11-23-1998, 01:11 PM
DH

Default If you are extremely ****, here are two offenses . . .

One would have to be extremely desperate and ****, IMHO, to pursue such a matter. Regardless, quick research indicates the following. This is not meant to be legal advice and should in no way be construed as such. This information is provided for general discussion purposes only.<p>The offense may likely be failure to provide notice of an accident. Statutes vary from state to state. In my state, we have two potentially applicable statutes.<p>1. Statute # 1 is titled: Accidents involving damage to vehicle:<p>Interestingly, accident is apparently undefined in my state's code. Accordingly, one could conceivably argue that the collision between door of the offender's car and the victim's car is an accident within the ambit of the statute. The codified language indicates "[a]ny person failing to stop or comply with subsection (a) (Duty to give information and render aid) . . [when] damages done to [victim's] property . . . does not . . . or would not appear to a reasonable to exceed . . . ($400.00) commits a Class C misdemeanor . . . ."<p>2. Statute # 2 is titled: Immediate notice of accident:<p>This statute provides "[t]he driver of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting in . . . property damage to an apparent extent of fifty dollars ($ 50.00) or more shall immediately by the quickest means of communication give notice of such accident . . . ."<p>Children may be covered under the family purpose doctrine in my state triggering potential liability for negligence and possibly the duty to report.<p>Sensible to pursue, probably not. Would a trial court interpret "accident" to include dooring another car? Who knows.<p>I, however, once had a case in which a defendant was charged with violating the above statutes after running into a 20 foot section of barbed wire fence valued at approximately $ 50.00. He left the scene and did not report the incident. The convictions were affirmed on appeal.
Old 11-23-1998, 01:14 PM
Dan M.

Default Let me add something.

For those who've had similar situations, how was your luck seeking justice through aproved channels, ie. your insurance company?<p>More details: While I hadn't parked in E. BF, I did park where there was a space on only one side and left that space plenty of room. The car that was there when I parked was small and far away. The car that dinged the door was a LARGE vehicle and not parked appropiately.<p>The real point is that we live in a society where nobody is willing to claim responsibility for their mistakes and nobody gives a rats *** about other's property. Civility is lost.
Old 11-23-1998, 01:21 PM
Kyle

Default Re: Hit and run...

Sorry Craig, but you're incorrect. See DH post below...
Old 11-23-1998, 01:35 PM
RB

Default No way out...

Yeah but didn't you know door dings were a problem BEFORE you bought your car. It's part of the game. If you don't want to play go buy a $6000 disposable car. <br>Believe me, I know from where I speak. I watched as I was at a business meeting last week. One of my vendors (I pay this guy) opens his Nissan Quest door right into my driver side door. It hurt. Really hurt. But what do you do? It's par for the course and until you live in a society where everybody is **** about their cars , you either live with it or leave it in the garage and ride your bike. Sorry...no way out.<br>
Old 11-23-1998, 01:38 PM
Jon C

Default DH is correct; I made my living in cases like this for years... More

My original suggestion meant you could file a complaint re: the incident. I don' suggest you necessarily call the police to the scene. Moreover, DH is correct as to the law in many states. I spent a few years in traffic court as a defense attorney and judge, and leaving the scene of an accident is an offense, no matter how little the property damage. Most states have escalating degrees of offense [points, jail time, $$], as the value goes up, and if there's personal injury that's quite serious. The hit & run charge would, of course, not likely apply to the 5-yr. old, unless he was driving, but new legal ground is broken daily (tongue in cheek): are you in California, perhaps? :-)<p>I usually either park carefully away, or shrug off the ding if it's inadvertent, but under the right circs. I might pursue it. And I get light colored cars so they don't show as much when they do occur.<p>[BTW, the trick I was told when I lived in a Northeastern US city with particularly virulent drivers was to take a couple of toothpicks, cover the tip with super glue [cyanoacrylate], jam it into the offender's door lock(s), and break off the toothpick ends... hell to get out, glued in there like that. Disclaimer: I have never done this, though I have been tempted. Nor have I called the cops on a door dinger.]
Old 11-23-1998, 01:38 PM
Somthing Phishy........

Default Hey Phred.........listen to Phish????

NT

Quick Reply: Appropriate response for a door ding.