A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Appropriate response for a door ding.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-1998, 02:21 PM
chrisd

Default Bleeding hearts... surely the person's wanton disregard for the other person/ property is enough to take action (ramble)

Consider this: you sitting in your car and the fella in the car next to you swings his door open, and BAANG, door ding. Surely this could have been an accident and under most circumstances, most reasonable people would say they apologize and most reasonable people would accept that apology.<p>However, as Dan M's case seems to be, the man's blatant disrepect for another man and his property, surely warrants a position other than 'turn the other cheek". Consider the following analogy if your a guy, married or has a girlfriend: You are in a taco place(any place) with your girlfiend/wife (and I do not suggest this in possessive manner like property, but someone you care about) and this knucklehead (who is not inebriated)reaches over pinches her in the butt/stomach/ankle whatever. Would your response be to turn the other cheek, demand an apology, pout ;( or get the police involved for harrassment? (there are propbably more alternatives but for the sake of the story). IMHO, i think it is 100% reasonable, knowing that the possibility of legal action exists, to defend and protect...and retaliate. I would knock the guy on his a%$, or at least try<p>In light of Dan M's first hand knowledge plus the man's obvious refusal to acknowledge and take responsibility for the 'accident', is very suggestive of a selfish, self absorbed society as whole. People who deliberately hurt others or their property, and this goes for those who knowingly inflict damage yet do not acknowledge responsibility, certainly should be treated in kind.<p>A lawsuit, the police involved, a hit and run...it's going to cost you a mint in time and $$$ to get legal support to fix a $100 dent. And, I doubt you will find someone to do the work pro bono. <p>So, hey...I say an eye for eye to as%holes in the world...just don't get caught. <p>I love my a4
Old 11-23-1998, 03:20 PM
Jim Murphy

Default You ain't kidding...

You're final point is exactly the problem nowadays. Somebody damages someone else's property and they don't care. All the people here saying to just "move on" and "get over it" help perpetuate these problems. Yes, it may only be a tiny infraction when compared to larger scale events; *but*, why should we have to accept that? It's small stuff like this that keeps accumulating thus fueling the downward spiral of civility toward others and their property. Plus, everyone in this country is turning into a bunch of frightened cowards (I see this everyday in one form or another as people allow themselves to be walked all over - just watch people in public scenarios and you'll see what I mean).<p>Jim Murphy<br>97 2.8Qm <-- Over 2 yrs old and no DINGS even in the Boston environment (I have a special kharma about knowing just where to park
Old 11-23-1998, 03:54 PM
Michael Whang

Default Re: Quentin Tarantino describes it best...

I will never forget the line from Pulp Fiction when John Travolta's character says:<br>"You just don't F*CK with another man's automobile." <br>When I first got my car a woman opened her door without looking AS I was pulling in to the next parking space. Although it was deep down to the bare metal, I offered to fix it myself with touch-up paint under the condition that if I couldn't do a satisfactory job myself I would call her to pay for the fix. She stood there yelling at me at how it was my fault for about a half hour. She even accused me of trying to get money from her and that that was my intent. Hello? I just got a brand spanking new 528i bmw and I'm trying to get a few bucks from her? Eventually I told her that she had "won" and that I wasn't willing to play that game with her. Besides, it was a Sunday and I wasn't going to let her ruin my day over it.<br>To me, the bottom line is that there are too many people out there who don't give a damn about other people's property and how hard they work to earn it. <br>I agree with the guy who says to be willing to walk a little and find a decent parking space...minimize the risk. It's like people who drive around in constant circles just to find a parking space that is just a few feet closer to the store. They're impatient and chances are they won't care what their door hits in a tight parking spot.<p>just my $.02 worth,<br>Michael from Los Angeles<br>'98 528i blk/blk 5-spd <p>
Old 11-23-1998, 04:53 PM
Jon C

Default Your legal analysis is weak...

In your hypothetical, you pose an unconsented touching, which is both a civil and potentially criminal assault. Big difference between that and a door ding. In any case, your response must not exceed reasonable force under the circumstances, and a punch out to someone who pinches your honey is probably not reasonable. I wish you well, because with your attitude, you will need legal services at some point if you act on your words.
Old 11-23-1998, 05:08 PM
Brian

Default What a story.

I guess a ding in the door would seem trivial after all of that.
Old 11-23-1998, 05:26 PM
Doug H

Default I hear you but . . .

First, we are talking about a small probably unobtrusive dent in a door of your car which can easily be repaired for about $ 50.00 to $ 100.00.<p>Second, you are talking about inflicting personal injury upon someone. Such anger could provoke further escalation. I seen cases where people were shot and killed over arguments propogated over tirvial disputes. I once worked on a case where a defendant shot someone for not giving him any KFC.<p>Third, while the pinching on the buttocks may be an offensive touching, i.e. battery, a violent confrontation may be viewed as use of excessive force in relation to the threat posed by the offensive touching.<p>Lastly, battery for inflicting serious physical injury or physical injury could subject one to both potential civil and criminal snactions.<p>IMHO, I would take down the license plate number (which may get the offenders attention) and consider a civil resolution.<p>I do not mean to be on a soap box, but I have seen cases wherein people have been killed over disputes arising from more trivial matters than a door ding. I just try to put things in perspective and I place a high value on human life and well being.
Old 11-23-1998, 05:53 PM
DH

Whoa, that tooth pick thing is nasty!!!
Old 11-23-1998, 06:55 PM
Tom Halter

Default Tom's 10 Commandments for parking (very long)

Cut this out and save<br>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - <br>A lot of this is common sense, but like anything it must repeated over and over again to be truly learned. It is also helpful to think in terms of risk assessment when evaluating spots. We'll start with the easy ones first.<p>1. Always look for "premium" spots (spots on the end, extra wide spots, or spots far away from where you are going). Walk a little, save a lot. Do this even when there are tons of extra spots, so you stay in the habit.<p>2. Park next to small cars, not big cars. Nuff Said.<p>3. Favor spots next to expensive cars. Their owners are more likely to share your concerns about door dings.<p>4. Favor spots next to sedans. Two door coupes have long doors, which must by necessity swing wider for the occupant to enter and exit. Some (especially GM products like the Grand Am and Camaro) have very heavy doors that are easy to lose control of, and are more likely to do big damage due to their weight.<p>5. Avoid minivans (especially those with swinging doors, like the 1st generation Honda Odyssey and Mazda MPV). These vehicles are likely to be transporting children, who have no concern for other people's property. Avoid sport-utes and station wagons for the same reason.<p>6. Avoid vehicles with child. This should probably be number one! Trust me, I've been there. When you are trying to get a screaming infant into the seat and buckled up, you don't care how wide the door has to swing!<p>7. Watch the passenger side. All vehicles have drivers - most don't have passengers. Therefore, premium spots with no neighbor on the passenger side get preference to spots with no spot on the driver side. Similarly, coupes on the right are more risky than coupes on the left. You get the idea.<p>8. Use the whole spot. All other things being equal, park slightly closer to the drivers side of the spot (to follow rule 7 above). In premium no neighbor spots, maximize your advantage by parking as far to the non spot side as you can.<p>9. Don't forget pedestrians! While not strictly door ding related, avoid spots with lots of pedestrian traffic. A "premium" spot next to a walkway isn't so premium if sombody clips your car with their briefcase. Pay particular attention to this rule at bars!<p>10. Lastly, there will always be occasions when there are no good spots available, or you have no choice about your spot (such as sporting events). My advice: Deal with it, or leave your car in the garage. You bought the thing to drive, remember.<br>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - <br>Tom Halter<br>98.5 2.8 QM Pearl/Onyx
Old 11-23-1998, 08:35 PM
Kirk

Default This is exactly what a friend, who is a police officer told me to do.

And Rob, that IS what they are there for. Where do we draw the line. Some acts against another are ok, while others are not. Not acceptable. There are costs for every action. <p>Kirk
Old 11-23-1998, 08:53 PM
Stu Koch

Default 1 more

I see no problem with taking up two spots in a parking lot that is not very full. Obviously if you do this in a very crowded lot (as I tend to do) you run the additional risk of being keyed, ticketed, or towed.<p>I actually look for Minivans with the sliding door and hope the kiddies don't spill their coke on my car.<p>-Stu Koch

Quick Reply: Appropriate response for a door ding.