A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

APR 1.0bar or Autothority 0.8bar chip?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-1999, 07:26 AM
me

Default APR 1.0bar or Autothority 0.8bar chip?

Does anyone know how the these two chips compare? In terms of companys.... APR has only been around for about 2 years vs Autothority's 10+ years... Should this concern me? Both companys claim they will fix any problems the chip causes (ie turbo failure) if Audi doesn't..... of course this is verbal.... Will a 1 bar chip make the turbo die a lot sooner that a .8 bar chip? I read somewhere that the Autothority chip looses steam after 5500 rpm. does the APR chip have the same behavior?<p>thanks.
Old 06-04-1999, 09:15 AM
ErikR

Let me guess, by a vendor who only sells .8 bar chips?
Old 06-04-1999, 09:26 AM
eric S

Default APR not at event... APR hopefully in someones car.

APR is not going to be at event...<p>I am hoping that one of many 1.8T's will have an APR chip.<p>eric
Old 06-04-1999, 09:27 AM
JonathanD

Boost is boost?? What does that mean? 1lb = 20lb?
Old 06-04-1999, 09:31 AM
estee

Default Re: From what I've been told...

ko-3 boost limit according to kkk is ONE bar(14-15 lbs.)
Old 06-04-1999, 09:37 AM
Francis Y.

Default that is not a good description of what the chips do...

horsepower, torque, and rpm are not independent variables. you don't really "sacrifice" torque for horsepower. horsepower is a direct multiple of torque and rpm. the only reason horsepower is rising at the >5.5k range on that dynograph is that the RPM is rising, which offsets the drop-off in torque. that dropoff, in turn, is seen on *all* chips, as it is in the stock engine. it is a result of the exhaust manifold. with a less-restrictive manifold, you can flatten that torque curve out a little more, achieving about 240 hp.<p>Francis<br>Cactus Green 1.8TQTipS + just received APR chip
Old 06-04-1999, 09:40 AM
Joe

Default No, they also sell 1.0, they just don't recommend a 1.0 bar with a K-03 turbo.

Old 06-04-1999, 09:44 AM
BB

Default A turbo...(long)

Is driven by the exhaust. That's why there is some lag, but that's another post. Anyway, when the turbo get spinning, it adds air pressure to the intake. The added air pressure is measured in pounds (lbs.). If you get the standard A4 boost, 7 lbs, that means that the air pressure is increased in the intake by 7 lbs. This also increases the oxygen in the intake so the fuel burns faster creating more power.
Old 06-04-1999, 09:46 AM
VictorL

I'm planning on being there
Old 06-04-1999, 10:42 AM
ErikR

Default Long discourse on hypocritical chip vendors...

Let me guess 2 (not flaming you, just tired of this same lie):<p>They say the KKK04, with the same 1 bar factory boost spec as the KKK03 (which they neglect to tell you), is better at safely handling that boost. <p>The 4mm shaft is the same for these two turbos. This is the claimed "weak point" for the 03, yet it is identical in the 04. In fact, read the ARCHIVES about 1.0 bar failures, none in the 03 (1 unconfirmed) and (4 confirmed) in the 04.<p>The previous lie was that the 03 would overspin if run at 1 bar. How they detected this overspinning without a 20k doppler system is beyond me. Nor would they take me up on my offer to have the superb nearby engineering school examine this.<p>The 04 is an excellent turbo, as it the 03. It needs some development work for track/hard use. 1.0bar is fine unless you have a penchant for running 85 octane gas.

Quick Reply: APR 1.0bar or Autothority 0.8bar chip?