A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

APR Chip and pinging

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-1999, 10:47 AM
Patrik

Default APR Chip and pinging

I am running my 1.0 bar APR chip for about a week now and yesterday for the first time, I heard the engine pinging under full throttle!

Does anyone know how ambient temperature and pinging relate? Also, what brand of gas is less likely to cause pinging?

When I first installed my chip I had some Chevron 92 in the tank. I didn't hear anything like pinging but still, I pumped 4 gal of 100 octane to be on the safe side. Costed $4.4/gal!!!!

After emptying the tank yesterday, I filled 6 gallons of Shell gas. Outside tems were 112 F (San Fernando Vally, CA) and I heared pinging. Later I filled the rest of the tank with Unocal 76 and it didn't help. Now the tank is full and I have to wait untill I can put in some good 100 octane stuff!

Does anyone know what ratio would work (100octane to 92 octane)?

Thanks,
Patrik 99.5 1.8TQMS+APR
Old 08-26-1999, 10:55 AM
Chris/APR

Default Give us a call and we will be more than willing to solve this for you. Thanks

-
Old 08-26-1999, 11:11 AM
M

I think marketing efforts should be prohibited from this forum.
Old 08-26-1999, 11:15 AM
Jason H

He's just trying to tell patrik (and the rest of us) that APR will work to fix pinging problems
Old 08-26-1999, 11:17 AM
antony

I agree, I am glad that APR is so active on this board and willing to work with customers
Old 08-26-1999, 11:25 AM
HJB

Default Installed my APR 1.0 a few weeks ago. FANTASTIC with no pinging so far...

I'm in Arizona, but haven't spent much time at full throttle. Best in the morning when it's cooler. Torque in third gear at about 2500rpm is wonderful. Feels like my small block! Great job APR!
Old 08-26-1999, 11:26 AM
HJB

Huh??
Old 08-26-1999, 11:31 AM
antony

I mean I agree with Jason H
Old 08-26-1999, 11:57 AM
Dimitri

Default My pinging experience

I also installed my APR chip this past weekend. I had pings under WOT around 2500 and 3000 RPMs. Temperatures were only around 89-94F. What I noticed is that all it took was for the computer to get adjusted... the pinging went away. I run AMOCO 93. So I would recommend... disconnect your negative battery terminal for 2 minutes. Then reconnect..... Put key on the on position for 4 minutes... then turn the key to start the car. Drive around for 2-3 miles w/o lead foot. Then try it... it might ping (mine did). So I kept driving avoiding WOT, and it went away. No problems since, but I will keep the list posted. One thing I did notice was that if I am rolling and I am in 2nd gear...as I head up a hill if I floor the car, the lag is much larger than it was before the APR. It might just be this one spot I have to do this.. but I figured i'd mention it.

I hope you have your problem resolved. APR has been actively involved and always seem to work for solving problems.

Dimitri

===
1.8TQMS 1.8TQMS
Old 08-26-1999, 12:17 PM
MitchC

I'm happy to see APR responding here! Wish AOA would as well!

Quick Reply: APR Chip and pinging