A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

APR or GIAC chip? Not trying to start a war and I have read archives

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2000, 09:14 AM
Theo

Default APR or GIAC chip? Not trying to start a war and I have read archives

Trying to decide between these two companies. They both have good reputations - I am sure I would not go wrong either way. APR has good customer commitment and often has revisions of the chip. The probelm is that I have to mail them the ECU to get this.

There is a local person that will do the Garrett chip. The shop is in Mountain View, California. If I needed help, I guess I could go to him and get instant gratification. So, in this case, if you were leaning to APR, would you go with Garrett?

Opinions?

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2000, 09:53 AM
Jeff Jobe

Default Re: I think you may have answered your own question....

The two are reported to be VERY similar in most respects.
In my case I will go with APR and have their Distributor ( Vortrag ) in Warren MI. do the install and any upgrades. Living in Ohio I can be at Vortrag Motorsports in 3 hours.
The value added to doing this face to face makes my choice mush easier.
Go for the service..... you may be very glad you did some day.
Good luck.
JAJ 00 1.8Tqtip
Old 02-03-2000, 11:38 AM
my $.02

I can't imagine APR being any faster than the Garrett. Maybe the same but the Garrett boosts higher
Old 02-03-2000, 12:51 PM
Al Pollack

Default Theo... Some food for thought...........

Trying to figure out which chip manufacturer to go with is not easy. Rest assured, you cannot go wrong with either of these chip guys. I drove my 99.5 1.8t to AWE in Philadelphia a couple of months ago. Todd installed a Garrett chip and a k & n air filter for me. I felt more comfortable with having someone do the chip install. I didn't go for the extra ecu. Having a qualified person doing my chip install was of utmost importance to me. What is your "utmost importance"?? Once you've figured that out, you'll be able to make a clear decision. plain and simple.
I watched Todd do my install. He explained everything that he was doing. Even with that, i'm glad i let him do the chip. In less than an hour, i was tooling down the PA Tpke. with my Bullwinkle busily digesting a hefty lunch of 40-50hp.

Al
99.5 1.8tqtsc "Bullwinkle"
Old 02-03-2000, 01:27 PM
Theo

Thanks, all, for your help. Now to make a decision...
Old 02-03-2000, 01:33 PM
my $.02 again

also I'm getting for MPG's better w/Garrett chip not to mention insane acceleration!