A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

APR vs Greedspeed? APR worth the $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2001, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR vs Greedspeed? APR worth the $$$?

I just bought myself a brand new A4 and the first thing I was looking into doing for it was to chip it. I know this has been done to death on this board, but I wanted to hear it one more time for those out still willing to talk about it. Is the APR 1.0 bar chip worth the extra cash it costs over the GreedSpeed .8-1.0 bar chip? GreedSpeed claims just as much peak torque/hp, but also claims that their variable boost is easier on the engine. This will be for a daily driver car, and I never plan to autocross or anything else, so reliability is definately a big issue for me, as is money. Is it worth the extra cash to get the low end torque for the APR? Are there satisfied GreedSpeed VBL customers out there?
Old 01-30-2001, 05:56 PM

Default I'm kicking around the APR question as well. I think the biggest resson for APR is ECMS.

It's a good feature, from the sounds of it.
Old 01-30-2001, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I LOVE my VBL chip. No, it's not as powerful as the APR and GIAC chips.

It's not that much slower though.

Mike
Old 01-30-2001, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: APR vs Greedspeed? APR worth the $$$?

I have been debating this one for a while. Read the article at the link below I found it infteresting. I was 80% convinced to go APR with a lingering thought to go GIAC. After reading that and talking to a local Neuspeed tuner I am thinking Neuspeed or wait and go APR Stage III. I was concerned about the load that a 1 bar chip would put on the car before reading that article and now I am thinking that waiting until I get true performance gear (turbo, manifold etc.) I am best to take it easy.<ul><li><a href="http://www.gr8ride.com/cgi-bin/pm/articles/howtoview.jsp?channel=International&community=Euro pean&oid=105160">http://www.gr8ride.com/cgi-bin/pm/articles/howtoview.jsp?channel=International&community=Euro pean&oid=105160</a</li></ul>
Old 01-30-2001, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Hi people, the big thing that turns me off about APR....

Is that their price is so high! For their ECMS with two programs (stock and chip) it costs $750. With the Greedspeed group buy ($149), it is $600 cheaper!!
Also Greedspeed will reprogram your chip to stock whenever you want, and will also reprogram is to chipped mode when you want, and overnite it back all free of charge! (I know you have to send it to them, but the cost is really minimal compared to APR's pricing.) Hypothetically, if you had a problem and wanted to switch back to stock, then you can send back to GreedSpeed and they will return it to stock. Then after that, if you wanted to have it back to chipped mode, then they will do that also for free! all you pay is shipping. So in other words, If you send the chip back and forth to them to switch its operating mode from chipped to normal, you could do that over 30 times before the shipping costs would add up to the APR price.
Another point i'm trying to get across, is that we need to show those tuners who think they're all that (and they may very much be), that we ARE interested in prices, and maybe in return, the entire market will become more competitive.
sorry so long, and thanks for listening to me rant.
Old 01-31-2001, 03:27 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default A Saturn LS is cheaper than an Audi...teach Audi a lesson!

My point is that you are getting something in return for your money. Quality and customer service. Buy whatever chip you want, but be careful in try to state that both chips are the same thing for a $600 difference. They are not.
Old 01-31-2001, 04:11 AM

Default return chip to stock....take apr, giac out and put your stock back in.....(more)

Also if you learn the soldering tech. which i am sure it is not difficult im sure you can do it your self. Thats why i am going with the giac i think. More power...the service center is 30mins from my house....and more power.