A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

ATL folks: Estimate from Jim Ellis Marrietta - $1800. Estimate from Nalley Audi - $160.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I do have experience with both, Jim Ellis and Nally. I can say that their service dept gets rather

excited in their estimates. I have never had them do any of the work because of this fact. Maybe they just overestimate and try not to surprise you. I think they just service a large number of wealthy (car dumb) people. "What? I need to replace my muffler bearings. OK."

On the sales side. This has been a year ago. I went in to Jim Ellis 5 times. Only once did I get someone offer to help me. The guy I finally spoke to knew the product very well. However, I was so angry with the lack of attention that I purchased my A4 and TT from Nally.

I have since moved and use another dealership.
Old 07-25-2002, 07:15 AM

Yep Yep. Got to agree with the gutter trash syndrome. Have experienced it myself.
Old 07-25-2002, 07:15 AM
Elder Member

Default every time I get service done at my dealer they always tell me what the worst case scenario is.

IMO it's much better than being given a lowball quote and then getting a phone call later saying "well we tore it down and found this and that and it's gonna be at least another grand to fix it up..." By then the car is apart and you're stuck with making an instant financial decision you might not have been ready for. The only things I've actually paid out of pocket for were special services I requested to have done (clutch and suspension) and each time I was given a ceiling price. In both instances they actually billed me less which made me feel more comfortable doing business with them.
Old 07-25-2002, 07:17 AM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Yeah, I was in your car for a lot longer (at the time) than you were...

in that situation, AND with my kids. So I feel ya, and am just as angry. Your situation with the taking the car happened JUST at the same time I was in for my fiasco, so it was just fallout. The dealership stepped up to the plate for me, in sales and service. As for the tow, I would swear they had it brought there for you, no?

As to your sales experience, you never told me that, so I have no comment. It's not me, nor how I do things.

As for the Porsche experience, that's just porsche mentality.
Old 07-25-2002, 07:19 AM

Default This is not meant as an attack on you Ed.

And I don't mean for it to be seen this way. As far as our personal dealings, you've always been great. I wouldn't have any reservations about using you as my sales guy, quite the opposite in fact. However, because of what i've been through I just can't/won't support Jim Ellis ever again. I'm sure they do some things well, but in my case they did just about everything wrong.
Old 07-25-2002, 07:21 AM

Audi roadside assistance paid for the tow to the nearest dealer.
Old 07-25-2002, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've never had a problem with the salespeople at JE Chamblee...

In fact, I bought my A4 there because the guys at the Marietta location were unwilling to negotiate.

I now have the unfortunate task of telling Stacy Ellis that I bought a VW 337, and won't be getting the 225TT Coupe I test drove with her. She's a cutie - too bad she's off the market now!
Old 07-25-2002, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Car was out of warranty - I went over my mileage.

Besides - I wouldn't rightly call me running over part of a concrete block in the middle of the road a warranty issue...
Old 07-25-2002, 07:28 AM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default ooof.

Well, that hurt. Could have been worse then.

Don't take me to be too defensive; I only know the guys here, and hate to see them get dinged for something they are not party to.
Old 07-25-2002, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My car was exclusively serviced at JE Chamblee.

My only complaint is that the shop is just too damned busy. Typically, it takes at least 2 weeks to get in for anything, and a few times they didn't even get to my car on the day I brought it in. Lee Wertz handles that incredibly busy shop as best as he can, I'm sure.

Believe me, Ed - I'll send all my Audi business in the future your way, out of respect for what you've done over the years for this board.

Quick Reply: ATL folks: Estimate from Jim Ellis Marrietta - $1800. Estimate from Nalley Audi - $160.