A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Atttn: Silver A4 owners. Onyx or Opal grey letherette interior? (more)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-1999, 08:32 AM
Need Advice

Default Atttn: Silver A4 owners. Onyx or Opal grey letherette interior? (more)

I'm having problems picking an interior color, with the Silver 1.8T. It's really two issues, look and comfort. <p>Look:<br>I'm in Northern California and have seen the Onyx interior, and it looks good. But what about the Opal grey? <p>Comfort:<br>I like the idea of the having the lighter color for the summer, I have a feeling the Onyx gets really hot. <p>Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :-)
Old 04-14-1999, 08:39 AM
rich

I have a light silver A4 w/Opal Grey cloth. I find it compliments the silver nicely although Onyx would be classic. I agree that grey is a better choice re: heat retention.
Old 04-14-1999, 08:42 AM
Don

Default Re: Atttn: Silver A4 owners. Onyx or Opal grey letherette interior? (more)

Well, personally I prefer a contrasting interior,<br>so I would opt for the onyx...<p>Have you checked out the 99.5 Onyx cloth? Very nice, center sections of seats have a checkered texture. More interesting than the plain, no texture leatherette. And of course it will be cooler in summer, not as cold in winter.<br>The opal gray interior will be, well, all opal gray including the dashboard, steering wheel, shifter, etc, etc<p>1.8t avant on order (hibiscus/onyx cloth)
Old 04-14-1999, 09:03 AM
ELH

Default personal preference again....

It ultimately is a matter of personal preference. I have the Onyx and I love it. <p>---Trey
Old 04-14-1999, 09:06 AM
Jon

Default I disagree on the cloth..

I ordered Onyx leatherette because I didn't like the onyx cloth. The checkered pattern is very tacky, in my opinion..
Old 04-14-1999, 09:15 AM
Scott Tominovich

Default Silver A4 Avant with Opal Gray Interior

I have a A4 2.8Q Avant Silver/Opal Gray. I Liked the black interior...but I did not like the wood. The Onyx wood was not polished...the Opal gray was....It looks much nicer...The black will also fade...either way you will be happy.
Old 04-14-1999, 10:02 AM
ChrisWB

Default DEFINATELY Onyx!!!!!!!!!

(My opinions here)<br>The Onyx blends really well with the rest of the interior. (Stick shift surround, e-brake, radio, buttons on dash, instrument cluster, air conditioning vents, etc) I've seen the other interiors, and I think it looks really cheesy how everything contrasts. Especially the blue plastic around the black stick shift.<p>Another point - If you're going for the leatherette seats, the black looks much better because you can't see the perforations as much. It doesn't look as fake.<p>Sure it gets warmer in the sun, but just spend $40 on a sunshield as mentioned in previous posts and it will be cooler than the grey without a cover.<p>The black doesn't fade if you take care of it. Any plastic will fade over time in sunlight without proper care. Get a $12 bottle of Vinylex and treat it every so often, and you'll get many happy years out of it.<p>Again, my opinions, no flames please.<br>
Old 04-14-1999, 10:04 AM
ChrisWB

Default Sorry, that should read "DEFINITELY Onyx!!!!!!!!"

Spelling error
Old 04-14-1999, 11:00 AM
--- He's right

Default Onyx looks better

eom
Old 04-14-1999, 11:35 AM
Steven Steinberg

Default Re: Atttn: Silver A4 owners. Onyx or Opal grey letherette interior? (more)

I just went throught the same process and I decided on the Silver with opal grey--although I probably drove my wife crazy agonizing over this minor decision! I originally thought that the black interior looked sportier, but the more I test drove the cars the more I liked the opal grey. Here's why: (1) It doesn't show the dust like the black does--the brand new car on the lot already looked a little dusty; (2) the grey gives the illusion that the interior is bigger; (3) it doesn't get as hot as the black; and (4) it won't fade as much as the black and (5) I would have had to wait a long time for a black interior. I too was skeptical about the grey, but I really do like it.<br>Good luck, although you really can't go wrong either way.<p><p>

Quick Reply: Atttn: Silver A4 owners. Onyx or Opal grey letherette interior? (more)