A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

ATW Engine No Start. Has Fuel, Has Spark.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATW Engine No Start. Has Fuel, Has Spark.

So I went to go pick up my friend a few days ago, it's only about a mile drive. The car started fine and didn't hesitate to turn over. On the way over there was nothing abnormal going on either. Pulled in the driveway and after saaay a minute of idling the car just turned off. Tried turning it back over and nothing, just cranks and cranks. Flat towed it back to my house and tore into it.

Scanned the car once i got home and the only code coming back was a throttle body malfunction. I thought this couldn't be it because you can hear it doing its self alignment when you turn the key on. Went to the local scrap yard and got a new TB anyways. Plug everything in and still the same codes. Moved onto the next part in question.

Tested fuel pressure but my dial only went to 80lb and it was maxed out. Thought fuel was fine. Can anyone tell me what the pump primes at, pressure wise?

Moved onto the timing. Belt is in good condition and timing marks line up with piston 1 at TDC.

Moved onto spark. This is one thing that confused me. I bought the replacement set of coils from ECS on August 1st and I still had my old coils, I pulled the plug to look at the spark. On the new coil there was hardly an arc. Put old coil on that plug and you could see the spark easily! Could a bad batch of coils cause a no start without throwing any codes?

Can someone help me out with any advise on what to look for next? It's driving me crazy not knowing what could be wrong.