A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Audi A4 1.8T/2.8 vs. BMW 325i (not flamebait!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2001, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A4 1.8T/2.8 vs. BMW 325i (not flamebait!)

I'm going to be doing the unthinkable and trade in my '96 Miata for a sport sedan -- I've finally decided that having a trunk and a backseat would be quite useful, and figure that I can always get another Miata a few years down the road to suppliment the sport sedan. But I digress.

I've narrowed my choices down to two vehicles: A 2002 Audi A4 1.8T Sport Quattro (or 3.0), or a BMW 325i (Sport/Premium). The Bimmer can be had for $1500 above invoice, and I'm sure I'd find tips here on bargaining for an Audi.

This is a tough decision; at least I have the advantage of not caring about image. I really don't care what anyone else thinks of my car. *grin*

Here's the pros and cons so far:

Pros (Audi):
- AWD option (don't really want FWD)
- Less expensive.
- Fit and finish (from what I've seen) seem on a par with BMW.
- Less expensive.

Cons (Audi):
- No RWD.
- New model year for 2002.
- Larger than the 325i (I prefer small cars).
- Have yet to drive one. *grin*
- Not as fast (0-60 wise) as the Bimmer.

Pros (BMW):
- RWD
- Ganz Sportliche! (Very sporty)
- Slightly sexier (IMNSHO)
- Still fits within my budget (at the top, but in the budget).

Cons (BMW):
- More expensive.
- More expensive.
- More likely to be stolen.
- Concerned about quality of service from dealerships.

Anything y'all can think to add to this? Solutions to any of the "cons" on the Audi would be the best...if they offered a 2.0T RWD option, I would own one in a heartbeat. How's the A4 for longevity/build quality/reliability? Service experiences?

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2001, 01:08 PM

Default Well, let's look at the cons . . .

Quattro over rear wheel drive in a heartbeat. The fit and finish of the Audi is much better than the Bimmer. If the A4 is indeed larger, it doesn't seem so. Buy the 1.8t, put in an APR chip, and hold on. Find someone who will let you drive one, you won't be sorry. Plus you can hang out with a great group of guys.
Old 06-21-2001, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Well, let's look at the cons . . .

I have to admit I like this board better than the craptastic forum on 'bimmer.org' (the E46 forum seems to be dominated by a few good men and a bunch of posers).

What type of performance from the APR chip; costs, warranty issues?
Old 06-21-2001, 01:34 PM

Default Was in the same boat myself...

I had it narrowed down to the 1.8T Avant and the 325 Wagon. I decided on the Audi because you get more for your money. All things being "equal" (fit and finish/general German build quality) I had to let my pocketbook decide. Basically, in order to get all of the necesities (CC, Auto A/C, etc...) that came STANDARD on the Audi I would have had to spend about $3000-3500 MORE with Bimmer. And that didn't include the AWD option on the Bimmer. You have to spend $3000 on the Premium Package just to get a freakin' center armrest... that is BS!!!!!!!

Go drive them both and you will find the Audi much sportier, if that matters to you. I spent 3 months researching and driving everything I could afford...(under $35,000 msrp)

Happy Hunting
Old 06-21-2001, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Audi A4 1.8T/2.8 vs. BMW 325i (not flamebait!)

I actually just went through this same process about 3 weeks ago when I traded in my BMW Z3. Item for item the Audi is just as good as a 3 series and it has the advantage of having AWD for thousands less. As far as not being as fast, I plan on chipping mine in the next couple of months and then the speed difference will be reversed.
Old 06-21-2001, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm in the same place you are....here's what my opinions are: (LONG)

I'm in the market for a new car in the next 6 months or so...I'm considering (some closer than others) an A4, 325i, TL type S, and the Maxima. Here are my impressions.

Audi-
+ Far superior interior (please forgive the rhyme) Audi has the best materials and fit/finish of all cars I've been looking at. I also like the exterior, but it's a bit too much like a Jetta sometimes...the '02 will remedy this but from what I've seen I'm not impressed, I will reserve final judgement until I see one in person (which in Omaha may be 2003 . Also, the Audi internet community is the coolest...by far.
- In order to get power seats you also have to spring 4 g's on the V6 and Audi's price advantage goes out the window.
Equipped the way I want, the 2.8 about $35K (MSRP), the 1.8T is around 32.

BMW-
+/- Mechanically, the bimmer feels better than the Audi I drove (granted, it was a 1.8T), Personally, my favorite exterior...it's a gorgeous car.
- The interior I would place in a tie with the Acura...the layout is not as good as the Audi, the materials are good but just don't look as nice(you get a black dash regardless of the color interior you pick) and I don't like the window controlls in the center like they are. Also the bimmer is a little more expensive...
The 325i is ~36K equipped simmilarly to the Audi but MUCH harder to deal on. Audi and BMW horsepower is equal for all intents and purposes (170 vs 184) which means that they are both sucking hind tit to the TL-S.

Both cars are wonderful to drive, IMO the Audi is a bigger value. Who knows what the '02's will bring...will the 1.8T get power seats? Does anybody have good pics of the interior? You also need to consider the first year gremlins that always pop up on a new or redesigned model (and combine that with a new motor like the 3.0).

Acura-
+ 260 HP...short of putting a stage 3 kit on a 1.8T, nothing comes close (even the base TL has 225), everything standard, honda reliability, and it's a bit bigger in the back seat than the A4 and bimmer. Oh yeah, and it's about 4K less expensive...
- fake wood accents (gag), ricer appeal (f&cking ricers are stealing the HID's off the TL/CL for their goddamn civic's). Two big minus signs...but it's a good car that really appeals to me. Price wise it is right in line with the A4 @~32K.

Right now I think I'm narrowed down to the A4 and TL-S.

Maxima-
I seriously considered this car until I read about the new Altima being bigger and more powerful than it. WTF is up with that, Nissan? Making a car that is bigger and stronger than your flagship???
It is a fun car to drive is cheaper (~28K) and is built well, but it just doesnt speak to me the way the TL and A4 do.
Old 06-21-2001, 03:14 PM

Default Mid 6's, high 14's . . .

cost around $500 give or take. As for warranty, find a chip friendly dealer to service the car.
Old 06-21-2001, 03:21 PM

Default You can load a 325 up to cost $37K. Make sure you're comparing apples to apples.

Otherwise you'll get your BMW for $1500 over, but it'll have a sunroof, no climate control, no leather, no CD, no AWD, no sport package, etc. Compare value ie features for money too.
Old 06-21-2001, 04:32 PM

Default Last summer I was torn between the A4 1.8T and 323i...

And in the end I let my pocketbook decide! I now have a German sport sedan on par with a similarly equipped 3-series for about $4000 less. And the 1.8T is a very "mod-friendly" platform...the APR chip gave it a much needed kick in the pants and other mods will only improve the ride.
Oh, as stated in other posts...the Audi interior is a WORK OF ART!