A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Audi A4 1.8T vs Acura Integra GSR

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-1999, 01:00 PM
Warren

Default Audi A4 1.8T vs Acura Integra GSR

Hello all,<p>In the market for a new car and having a hard time decide between the A4 1.8T and an Integra GSR. I definitely like the look of the A4 better, but the Integra GSR seems to have a better engine and is cheaper. Can anyone comment on how well the A4 1.8T engine performs (manual transmission)? If any of you have driven both a GSR and an A4, can you give some reactions as to how they compare? I really appreciate any help!!<p>Warren<p>BTW: Are the A4 1.8's in really high demand these days?
Old 04-28-1999, 01:10 PM
JohnS

Default I raced an integra the other night....

And wasted it 3 times. It had a VTec emblem on the back and was all lowered and according to the owner had new intake, chip, and headers.<p>I have a Neuspeed chip.<p>FWIW,<p>JohnS<br>
Old 04-28-1999, 01:13 PM
J.Russ

Default Hmmm... why aren't you looking at the top-of-the-line Prelude?

I sold my old '94 Integra GS-R sedan and bought a '98 2.8 Avant. Although I can't speak directly to the 1.8T, I'm guessing that it and the rice rocket are two completely different animals. The Audi, though, is a much rarer and more beautiful car, though its reliability, while good, won't match the Integra's.<p>Honda has taken what it learned from the Integra and poured it into the Prelude (and the S2000, apparently). I'd definitely give that a long look before the Acura.<p>Japanese cars are routinely flamed onthis board, so don't be surprised if that happens.
Old 04-28-1999, 01:14 PM
vertgo

Default I've driven both...(long)

The A4: Pulls strong, but not overbearing in low and medium ranges. I'm not<br>impressed by its power on the highway. Contrary to popular opinion i'd say the<br>car is quick, but hardly fast--the 1.8T is a great engine but 1.8 liters and 150hp<br>is just that--hardly a rocket ship. Howerver, the balance of the car is superior to<br>most anything else I've driven, it is comfortable, and the interior it tip notch.<br>Plus, if you're in poor weather quattro is supposed to be great (just test drove<br>a car--never tried it in snow).<p>The Integra is definitely quicker, arguably fast. BUT the engine is kind of <br>buzzy and feels torque challenged in the low end. Passing power is<br>great when at speed. Its definitely the faster car, and the price is much <br>lower. BUT: the interior is ****e, the backseat is even worse than that in the<br>A4, and the radio is off of fisher-price. IMHO the interior in the integra is<br>more low-end than that of the civic.<p>So: If you want a well balanced, quick car with a dollop of luxury get the A4.<br> If you want a sports car and can live with a mediocre interior, get the acura.<br>
Old 04-28-1999, 01:23 PM
JimV

Default Re: Audi A4 1.8T vs Acura Integra GSR

Had a 96 integra LS before the A4 and while the Integra was a nice car it compared not to the a4.<br>The handling, the torque, the fit/finish, everything is so much better inthe a4.<br>The Integra started to feel like my old Accord by the time I was done with it.<br>Granted it wasnt tuned like the GSR or have the engine, but the two cars were completely different. <p>I also only had 14" tires on the Integra.<p>In any case, Quattro alone would make me go with the A4.<br>
Old 04-28-1999, 01:26 PM
Paul Clowser

You need to drive both cars; they are very different.<p>The Acura is rev happy, and lots of fun if you keep the RPMs up (not much of a problem). I chose the A4 because it is more composed in every way. The engine feels smoother (not so buzzy), it's well appointed, and handles exceptionally well.<p>More money, and worth every penny...<br>Paul Clowser<br>98.5 tqms
Old 04-28-1999, 01:30 PM
Alan T.

Here are my thoughts: The integra is a great car with top notch shifter and clutch and fun engine. The brakes are good and overall handling is competent. This is one fun car to drive. On the negative side is the dated interior and low driving position. Although strong the engine does lack low end torque and gets buzzy at high r.pm.'s. You don't feel as safe driving it as you do in the A4, but of course the A4 is bigger. With sport suspension the A4 is a blast to drive and has just as refined shifter and clutch as the integra if not more so. A4 interior wins hands down; it's a much more pleasant place to be and I feel safer in this bigger car. The A4 has a very rigid body and is generally quiet even when pressing the 1.8 l. engine hard. It just never gets that noisy. It's about as sporty to drive( with the sport package) as the integra and you have the safety of a bigger car with more airbags. Both cars are great and of course it goes without saying that these are my impressions. So you need to drive both extensively and decide for yourself if the money difference is worth it to you. And just as important which car just does it for you. Good luck Alan in Maryland<br>
Old 04-28-1999, 01:35 PM
BDW

<br>My brother in law had a '96 or '97 GSR, which I got to drive on several occasions.<p>HIGHS: Great steering, sweet short-throw shifter, decent balance in the twisties (not great), nice high RPM get up and go, kind of nice to look at, good value for price.<p>LOWS: Fit and finish and materials inside are pathetic. Cheapo plasticky crap. Torque curve not very flat ... very little low RPM grunt and have to keep the revs way up to have any fun. Ride is harsh (you'll need new kidneys), engine is extremely buzzy and very loud cruising at 75 mph.<p>My '99 1.8Tqms is a much more substantial feeling car. It's just solid. Not quite as quick as the GSR (until I chip it), but the rewards of handling, balance, Quattro, great crash testing, side airbags, and quality of materials make it a far superior car, IMO. <p>I have had several Japanese cars and have enjoyed them all (especially my '95 Maxima SE), but German cars (and I'm including the new Passat here) just have a tighter, higher quality feel and behave much more confidently at higher speeds. What you need to do is go drive both of them, back to back, and that should make the difference clear. If it's shear bang for the buck you want in stock form, you'll pick the Acura. If you want something a little bit more rewarding and don't mind paying more, you'll want the Audi.<p>BDW
Old 04-28-1999, 01:38 PM
Dank

Default MANY people here replaced Integras with A4s.

There was a thread a while back about Integras, and it seemed like an awful lot of us A4 owners were ex-Integra owners (or still are Integra owners), myself included. So I am sure you will get many answers to your question... <p>My opinion is that your first look appears correct. I would agree that the GSR has a better engine and is cheaper. I doubt that a 1.8T could keep up, even with a 1 bar chip, in straight line acceleration. But straight line acceleration and cheapness are not what you buy an A4 for. Sitting in the driver's seat of each car, there is no comparison between the A4 and the GSR. The A4 has luxury, the GSR functionality. And most of the cost difference comes from the luxury (see the many threads comparing the Passat with the A4. Both have same engine and frame, but Passat is much cheaper, like the GSR).<p>I think the choice between these cars really comes to balancing the desires for "as much sports car as you can get for the money (Integra)" vs "a very nice very sporty car that is also luxurious (A4)".
Old 04-28-1999, 01:53 PM
KJ

Default I second that and add this...

if you REALLY like sport driving and get into things like AutoCrossing (SoloII)or driving schools, that is where the real differences come to play. There has not been a stock integra that could keep up w. my A4 on the tracks and I doubt they will come up one. My close friend has a GS-R which has 170hp and my A4 w. Neuspeed chip pushes 190+ AND has luxury, there is no comparison. <p>My friends complain about the small back seat, but who cares, I know I will never sit back there ;-) <br>

Quick Reply: Audi A4 1.8T vs Acura Integra GSR