A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Audi A4 1.8T vs Acura Integra GSR

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-1999, 01:54 PM
ChuckH

Too bad it's sooooo ugly, because the Prelude could be a nice ride with better styling.
Old 04-28-1999, 01:56 PM
ShawnC

Default Racetrack Comparisons

I've spent more time in an A4 on the track than I have on the street. The A4 was a 1.8TQ Sport with an upsized turbo (K04?), exhaust, chip and some suspension work (extent unknown, but it did have springs). The GS-R (RIP) was running stock suspension (except rear sway bar) and a heavily worked NA engine producing approximately 230 hp on the dyno. Both cars were on SP8000 street tires, the A4's were broken in, the GS-R's only had about 250 street miles on them.<p>A4 - definitely quieter than the GS-R. Gear selection wasn't quite as important for getting good thrust off the corners and it was a little easier to put the power down coming out of tight corners. Handling was stable until the limit was reached at which point the car became somewhat twitchy. Shifter was a little notchy, but it didn't cause any mis-shifts. Steering was a little numb off-center on turn-in, but it was fine mid-corner. Interior definitely more luxurious than the Integra. Being used to the Integra, it felt kind of wierd shifting below 7000 rpm, but it's not a fault - just different. Sucked gas like a mother too on the track, more than the GS-R. Don't know about city driving.<p>GS-R - With a performance exhaust it was kind of loud. I drove the car 200 miles to get to the track though and with the stereo while cruising it was tolerable. Shifter and engine were absolute jewels. HP on the cars was probably similar (with lots more torque in the A4), but the Integra had lots more thrust thanks to 500 lbs less weight. Straight-away speeds were 6-8 mph faster in the Integra. Ride was fine (stock shocks/springs still) although not as nice as the A4's. Car was more neutral in the corners and had better steering feel on turn-in. The new SP8000's were a little greasy and the car could have used more shock as the stock units were probably at the end of their lives.<p>Overall, the GS-R was definitely the better performance car. It would take near 300 hp in the Audi to equal the kind of thrust the GS-R had thanks to the weight difference and the Integra chassis is one of, if not the best FWD chassis in existence today, so FWD wasn't the disadvantage some might think. In terms of a commuter/highway cruiser, the A4 has it all over the Teg. Performance was commendable on the racetrack, but the Q cars just weigh too much in street trim to be tossable (IMO). I think that in terms of luxury appointments, you get what you pay for with these two cars, which means the Audi is quite a bit nicer in those areas. The stock engine seems a little anemic to my hp addled senses, even chipped, but a larger turbo is quite useful and not too difficult to add.<p>If you can afford it, and you're not an addicted racer, the Audi is certainly a nice car. If you're looking for all out performance while retaining a modicum of civility, I think there are better cars out there unless you can afford and find an S4. The Ford Contour SVT is an excellent choice in this arena, although it lacks for modification potential. The Integra is a performance bargain and you can get them for pennies over invoice which makes them a real steal today. Right around $20k even (there really aren't any options) shouldn't be hard. But, again, you won't get the luxury of the A4 and it isn't easy to add with what you save.<p>Best of luck on your decision.<p>SC
Old 04-28-1999, 02:07 PM
Chris B

Default I have owned both and.....(longish)

I can say the A4 is a superior car. For five years I owned an Integra. It was my first new "nice" car bought in 1992. I was glad I got a '92 as I hated the new body style Acura brought out in '94. I found the Acura to be quick, nimble, good looking and most of all, affordable. After five years of faithful service, I test drove an A4 and I was hooked instantly. Compared to my old Integra, I can sum up the A4 in one word... refined. Everything the Integra did well, the A4 did better, and was more refined. I have the leatherette seats in the A4, and everyone who rides in the car thinks they are real leather. The engine is smooth, quick, the handling is crisp, and the looks are drop dead gorgeous.<p>This is not to knock the Integra. I will always feel an affinity for my old car. But the A4 is a far superior vehicle.<p>.02<br>Chris<br>98.5 1.8TM
Old 04-28-1999, 02:24 PM
AJL

Default AutoX

Have you beaten every Integra GS-R and Type R at autoX events? What class are you running in? I've seen the Type R's (and the new Prelude) school almost everything in G-Stock at local autoXes in the Bay Area, just curious.<p>AJL<br>98 Passat
Old 04-28-1999, 03:05 PM
ChrisW

Default I've owned a 97 GS-R, & am about to own a 1.8...my .02

I loved my dark green 97 2-door GS-R, had tan leather interior. I must agree with some of these posts though, A4 is definitely 'more' car overall. GS-R's strongest point is that motorcycle type tach and strong engine. I never felt like I was abusing it. I've a 98 CL I'm selling now, few months after trading it in, I really missed the fun factor of the GS-R, this is why I'm (we're) getting the A4. As somebody mentioned, the body style is old, and the interior accomodations etc. just dont match the A4. If you want a less expensive, fun to drive, everybody has one (including gang bangers), car that'll last you 20 years, get the Acura. If you want a more unique, refined, HP upgradeable, solid, good forum, well appointed car, more $, go A4. Just ask yourself what do YOU really want/need out of a car. You'll of course get biased opinions on an Audi board.<br>Good Luck!
Old 04-28-1999, 04:32 PM
Warren

Default Re: Audi A4 1.8T vs Acura Integra GSR

Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond to my question. Definitely offered a lot of insight into the A4... I think I'd defnitely need to test drive both cars back to back before I can make a decision. hopefully after the test drives, I'll be able to make a definite decision. I was also just wondering how popular the A4 1.8's are these days? Is there a waiting period for them, or can one generally find them in the dealer lots? Also, about how much over invoice would one be able to get one for? I know the integras have a lot of bargaining room and you can get the price pretty close to invoice. Also, for massachusetts winters, would the quattro be highly advisable, or would non-quattro be adequate enough to handle the snow? And finally, how does the 5-speed auto with tiptronic compare to the 5-speed manual? Thanks a bunch!!
Old 04-28-1999, 04:50 PM
Paul C.

Default I traded in my 94 GSR for a 1.8T

Warren, I have owned my 98.5 A4 1.8t quattro with 5spd, sprt, bose, and sunroof for a little more than a year now. Previous to this I owned two Honda Accords and most recently, a 94 Acura Integra GS-R Hatchback. I liked that GS-R for most of my four years with it. I emphasize "liked". I Love the A4. My Audi A4 is not as quick as the GS-R but in EVERY other aspect it is a superior automobile. If the 0-60 and qtr mile times are important, get a chip. A chipped 1.8t will beat a GS-R with mild mods. Simply, I would recommend the A4 over a GS-R every time. <p>Paul C.<br>Sad because I have to sell my car.<p>
Old 04-28-1999, 05:05 PM
T1

Default The looks of the car grow on you...

...It's low, sleek and has crisp lines. True, the lights could be better, but it's not a *bad* looking car.<br>
Old 04-28-1999, 05:36 PM
Andy Hedin

Default Some answers...

<i>I was also just wondering how popular the A4 1.8's are these days? Is there a waiting period for them, or can one generally find them in the dealer lots?</i><p>They're on the lots...but depending on how "picky" you are about options and color, you may have to order to get exactly what you want (I did)<p><i>Also, about how much over invoice would one be able to get one for?</i><p>Anywhere from 3.5% to 5% over invoice would be considered by most folks to be a very good deal.<p><i>Also, for massachusetts winters, would the quattro be highly advisable, or would non-quattro be adequate enough to handle the snow?</i><p>IMHO, quattro makes the car...best $1600 you'll ever spend. But the FWD model is certainly "adequate" to handle the snow if you're really pinched for $$$<p><i>And finally, how does the 5-speed auto with tiptronic compare to the 5-speed manual?</i><p>I can't really say too much as I've never driven an A4 equipped with the Tip trans. But, the car will be slower with the Tip.<p>Andy Hedin<br>'97 A4 1.8Tqms, Wett 1.0 Bar, ABT Filter, Euro Headlights....<p>
Old 04-28-1999, 05:50 PM
Michael J.

Default Re: Audi A4 1.8T vs Acura Integra GSR-Auto-X, Drag, street (long)

Hey All,<p>I just sold my 96 GS-R to buy my 1.8TQMS, and here are my thoughts. I have raced SCCA and drag raced the Integra, and have begun to explore the limits of my new A4 and have driven a friends chipped A4.<p>Auto-X: No contest, a lowered A4 with the Quattro will kill a GS-R, unless the GS-R has a limited slip (not stock, but in the Type-R). The GS-R has real problems getting the power to the ground when pushed hard. I have seen a lot of inexperienced drivers in lowered Civics and Integras try to impress experienced drivers in old Bimmers and MGs. It always ends the same, you watch the rice-rocket plow right off the track. 95% of the cornering ability of any car is the driver.<p>Drag: My GS-R had exhaust, intake, header, fuel riser, cam sprockets and could pull the 1/4 in 14.7 at 94 MPH, again traction is the biggest problem. I have only seen one A4 drag with a 1.0bar chip and an intake and it pulled a 15.2 at 92 MPH. If you upgrade the turbo to kkk04 or k24 this would change. But a chipped a4 is no match for a prepped GS-R that was done right, and being driven correctly on the strip. If the GS-R is modded with a turbo itself, forget it. 1.8L turbo with 3200lbs (a4) to pull vs. 1.8L turbo with 2600lbs (gsr) to pull. No contest.<p>Street: I love my A4, better all around road car for certain. I am more comfortable with the sport package Quattro than the lowered, prepped Integra. The worst thing is getting used to these shorter ratios (final ratio really), I have to learn when to shift again. A lot of GS-R owners are afraid to run out to 8000rpm, and lose a lot of races that way, shift at the 8100 rpm limiter, and the revs only drop to 6200rpm if you are fast enough. The A4, with its lower redline, and depending on the torque curve of the chip may need to be driven differently. I am still learning. <p>The A4 and the Integra are different cars for different drivers and purposes. They aren't even close in SCCA classes for any Auto-X event. I feel the A4 was a more mature car, and better for Auto-X, I am growing out of the drag/street racing scene.<br>

Quick Reply: Audi A4 1.8T vs Acura Integra GSR