A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

AUDI A4 2.8 V6 QUATTRO TURBO PROJECT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 01:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Why not install the supercharger kit? It will give you close to 50% more power.
also you are limited with the supercharger kit, and also a single turbo setup will be much more effective.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gladman88
also you are limited with the supercharger kit, and also a single turbo setup will be much more effective.
How are you limited with the S/C that you are not with the turbo in his case?
Old 09-30-2012, 01:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

controlling boost is much harder with supercharger also you loose power with it being belt driven, a turbo just uses waste gasses and gives much mre tuneabilty, also i would like a little lag for town driving so the car is not constantly boosted, the good thing about 2.8 is you can drive them at almost any speed in 5th gear lol
Old 09-30-2012, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A supercharger may well be easier (and cheaper) to install, but I would always opt for a turbocharger. It will produce power in excess of what a supercharger can, at the same boost pressure.

I too find superchargers capped, as far as power goes.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gladman88
controlling boost is much harder with supercharger also you loose power with it being belt driven, a turbo just uses waste gasses and gives much mre tuneabilty, also i would like a little lag for town driving so the car is not constantly boosted, the good thing about 2.8 is you can drive them at almost any speed in 5th gear lol

For an engine that is not built to handle boost (no forged internals), you can achieve similar results with the S/C. Yes, turbos are more efficient, but there's already a kit for his engine and is simpler to install.

In either case, you will get about 50% more power.

Havin said that, superchargers produce linear power and there's no lag. It is solid and predictable delivery.

And top drag racers producing 5000+ HP run supercharged. So they (superchargers) are no slouch at delivering major horsepower.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a Bonneville SSEi before the A6 2.7T and I think the supercharger gave much more torque and was responsive throughout the entire range of the pedal. I'm no racer - but that car was rated at about the same horsepower as the Audi but could pin you to the seat getting on the highway. Granted, the engine was bigger and it had more torque...I'm not sure they were much different in speed, but they did feel different. The Audi is a bit more refined and you don't feel the speed the same way....if that makes sense.

It's cool to try something few others have...if you can get it done on a budget that is a plus. I wouldn't shy away from the SC though - other than if you can get a cost savings your way.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Easiest way to turbo the 2.8 is to just get a S4. Same engine with 2 turbos and built to handle them. Then tune to your liking after that with chip, exhaust, intake, etc.

Trying to boost a engine that wasn't designed for it is just asking for troubles and headaches.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:05 AM
HJB
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You stick with it. You'll get a bit more lag then right off the exhaust manifold, but you are starting with more displacement than the 1.8T; in fact Corvette kits fit the turbos right at the tailpipe. Biggest problem will be a achieving a proper tune; just remember, nothing involving a custom boosted system will be cheap. Have you looked into the 034 single turbo project?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
And top drag racers producing 5000+ HP run supercharged. So they (superchargers) are no slouch at delivering major horsepower.
Top fuel dragsters use superchargers because turbos are WAY more efficient and produce way more horsepower. They needed to control the sport so it didn't get out of hand.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default need help

basically i am trying this project very cheap and upgrade the cheap parts, most is second hand parts and junkyard treasures, once 90% complete i will be working a way to serious power with high quality parts, my freind has his own garage and plenty of welding experiance, we are almost ready, i am first trying to install fuel controller its cheap its called a r spec and its from japan, i need to connect this to the rpm wire but i cant find it, any ideas?

Quick Reply: AUDI A4 2.8 V6 QUATTRO TURBO PROJECT!!!