A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

audi a4 b5 wont start up ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 01:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audi a4 b5 wont start up ?

hi guys how you doing ?
my car wont start at all after i changed the cam chain tensioner
and i done it perfectly the marks all meets on the cam - cam caps and the marks on the chain and i count 16 rols between the cams and cam caps marks so i think every thing is OK
but the engine wont start at all so i asked some people about that and they all agree about one thing is possible which is the hydraulic leftrs all are Extended so its must be there is leaking on The combustion chamber so they told me i have to chec if there is leaking by removing the spark plugs and turn the cam to ensure the valve is closed and stik a tube in spark plug whole and start to Blowing air in The combustion chamber so i i did for all 4 pistons combustion chambers and all leaks out ........ i giv up a little help ??????????
Old 07-08-2012, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

People are telling you the hydraulic "leftrs" are Extended? Forget them, get your advice from AudiWorld!

You need compression, the right amount of fuel, and a spark at the correct time.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i just talked to a guy that said he had trouble finding engine mountings for his A4 in Zimbabwe. Am i the only one that thinks he is really missing the problem as to why he had trouble finding them? get back to me on this people. i can't be the only one laughing.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

No, I don't get the joke, unless you mean that there are no auto parts stores in Zimbabwe.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i removed the engine cylinder head To make sure the valves are in good shape and check it out so i tested the valves by And set up the cylinder head upside down So that the direction of the valves are faceing me then i Poured some gasoline Overhead the valves as we know Supposed to be no Leaking through the valves
but my valves are leaking so that is way the engine wont start up i think so Valves did not strik the engine pistons the valves are fine pistons are fine 2 the cylinders are fine alsow
so what i am going to do i will take out the valves to clean it up and i will put them back in and make sure there is no leak at all
so there wgat i a going to do :
1 - clean the whole cylinder head
2 - clean the cam shafts and cam shaft caps
3 - clean the leftrs
4 - clean the valves

and this opration if it goes fine its will add some power to the engine

i will add some pics when i am done when its ready !!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2012, 03:55 AM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

Wow. Crazy. Why not just do a leak down test instead of pulling the head?
Old 07-11-2012, 04:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

yes its crazy to what happened to me the car was running just fine till we changed the cam chain tensioner and its wont start at all !!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont know why so i start testing all Suspect parts has a link with intake and Exhaust port
Old 07-11-2012, 05:47 AM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by audi-a4-b5
yes its crazy to what happened to me the car was running just fine till we changed the cam chain tensioner and its wont start at all !!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont know why so i start testing all Suspect parts has a link with intake and Exhaust port
I think you misinterpreted my post: Crazy to pull the head prior to confirming that you have a compression issue. The fact that it did not run after work was done doesn't really sound that outrageous.

Did you pull and codes prior to disassembly? Verify chain and belt timing? Compression or leak-down test?
Old 07-11-2012, 06:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

ok i had an compression issue with the engine the head cylinder has 5v per cylinder and they all leaking out i removed the cams to ensure that the valves must be closed perfectly , to make the compression In the combustion chamber so is there any leak in combustion chamber there will be no compression Because the Expanding gases forc the piston to move down word so if the gases can be leaked out of combustion chamber its will be no compression i think !
Old 07-11-2012, 06:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

ok can you tell me what is the reason that made valves leaking out I am exhausted my mind is Tired of thinking about that

Quick Reply: audi a4 b5 wont start up ?