A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

audi a4 transmisson wont go in reverse (manual)!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audi a4 transmisson wont go in reverse (manual)!

as title states i can not get my audi a4 tranmsision in reverse or 3rd,4rth,5th, i can get in in first or second, i thought it was my shifter, (ebay one) and went out and bought a used 5 speed shifter
installed it, and same problem,
car is a 99 audi a4 v6 30v 5 speed manual,
please help! any tips, i do have a spare tranny, but idk if its the trany before i changed it,
Old 03-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

Is the linkage adjusted correctly? Sounds like no.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Is the linkage adjusted correctly? Sounds like no.

i was just reading bout that its stock, i never touched it, i was going in 5th gear, dropped in in N and tried to go back to 3rd and it just like froze,
can u tell me how to adjust it please? or i do have on from my other tranny, stock, worked well too,
thaks so much!
Old 03-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

Check Bentley for the adjustment procedure. Definitely not something too many people will know off the top of their heads.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

is this somethin i can just replace from my other tranny? without adjusting it, cuz that other one shiftes fine, never had a prob
Old 03-26-2011, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

so i just checked under the car, and i have gear oil everywhere, looks like from drivers side more, linkage is fine, what now? is my tranny shot? it drive in 1st and 2nd or i cant get it on gear cuz theres no oil? and where could it possibly leak? bottom drain plug is fine,
Old 03-26-2011, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peshkis06
so i just checked under the car, and i have gear oil everywhere, looks like from drivers side more, linkage is fine, what now? is my tranny shot? it drive in 1st and 2nd or i cant get it on gear cuz theres no oil? and where could it possibly leak? bottom drain plug is fine,
From what you describe, it could be a broken or bent selector fork inside the gearbox that is jamming the selector rods from moving. If you are certain the oil on the bottom of the vehicle is gear oil, it can be coming from the LH axle flange seal or perhaps a hole in the gearbox casing caused by debris on the road.

The first course of action should be to raise the vehicle and remove the 17mm Allen plug from the LH side of the gearbox so you can check the fluid level. If the gearbox fluid level is very low, there could be extensive damage to the bearings and other moving parts. If there is no apparent damage to the gearbox case, clean the area to determine the location of any leaks. Depending on the miles/kilometres on the vehicle, the axle flange seals can leak on either side and or even the input shaft seal inside the clutch housing. If you have a Quattro, there could also be a possible leak from the rear seal for the driveshaft. You may also want to drain any remaining fluid and see if there is a heavy concentration of metal filings in the fluid. Silver particles or pieces would indicate indicate a bearing problem if they stick to a magnet. If the particles do not stick to a magnet, they are likely aluminium from the selector forks. Gold particulate matter in the oil may be an indication of worn synchroniser rings but this condition will not prevent the gearbox from shifting.

If you drain the fluid, you will need to obtain an XZN-style 16mm socket to remove the 'tamper-proof' drain plug. The gearbox holds just under 3 litres of GL-4 specification fluid.

If the gearbox fluid level is normal, the gearbox will need to be removed and disassembled to determine what is broken or jammed.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HBAudi
From what you describe, it could be a broken or bent selector fork inside the gearbox that is jamming the selector rods from moving. If you are certain the oil on the bottom of the vehicle is gear oil, it can be coming from the LH axle flange seal or perhaps a hole in the gearbox casing caused by debris on the road.

The first course of action should be to raise the vehicle and remove the 17mm Allen plug from the LH side of the gearbox so you can check the fluid level. If the gearbox fluid level is very low, there could be extensive damage to the bearings and other moving parts. If there is no apparent damage to the gearbox case, clean the area to determine the location of any leaks. Depending on the miles/kilometres on the vehicle, the axle flange seals can leak on either side and or even the input shaft seal inside the clutch housing. If you have a Quattro, there could also be a possible leak from the rear seal for the driveshaft. You may also want to drain any remaining fluid and see if there is a heavy concentration of metal filings in the fluid. Silver particles or pieces would indicate indicate a bearing problem if they stick to a magnet. If the particles do not stick to a magnet, they are likely aluminium from the selector forks. Gold particulate matter in the oil may be an indication of worn synchroniser rings but this condition will not prevent the gearbox from shifting.

If you drain the fluid, you will need to obtain an XZN-style 16mm socket to remove the 'tamper-proof' drain plug. The gearbox holds just under 3 litres of GL-4 specification fluid.

If the gearbox fluid level is normal, the gearbox will need to be removed and disassembled to determine what is broken or jammed.
thank u very much! very helpful,
so either way its gana have to get removed, so best thing to do would be just to sway out the tranny from my other parts car,
and yes im sure it is gear oil, its alot thicker and clean, because i had a guy do it not long ago, maybw 5k ago, changed the tranny oil, thats where the confusing part comes in, if i had nice new oil in, and only 130k on it, i would expect way more life out of it. always took it easy on cold drives, waited till it warmed up before id gun it or hitting the gas,
now what im worried bout, is the clutch, im guessing that didnt get damaged? cuz its nothing to do with oil, its a newer clutch with bout 5k on it, didnt slip at all,
i cant seem to find a write up how to diy tranny replacement any advice? the hardest part id think is taking of the exhaust and putting it back on the headers, cuz its a one piece.
nd if the guy over filled it, would this happen 5k miles later?
Old 03-27-2011, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peshkis06
....i cant seem to find a write up how to diy tranny replacement any advice? the hardest part id think is taking of the exhaust and putting it back on the headers, cuz its a one piece.
nd if the guy over filled it, would this happen 5k miles later?
If you do not already have one, invest in the shop manual put out by Bentley Publishers (www.bentleypublishers.com), which will give detailed instructions on how to remove the gearbox. It is not a particularly difficult operation, but if your vehicle is a Quattro, there is quite a lot to take apart prior to removing the gearbox.

Be sure you have available XZN-style sockets for the drive axle bolts and the gearbox drain plug. Removing the exhaust is not difficult once you have removed the oxygen sensors from the pipes. The flange nuts securing the downpipe to the manifold should be replaced as should the flywheel bolts if you need to remove the flywheel for any reason.

It is possible to develop leaks if the gearbox is overfilled, but that is difficult to do since it will begin to overflow from the filler hole unless the fluid is filled when the vehicle is not level.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thx guys! Im pro gana replace the whole tranny. I find it easier to swapping than finding the prob and fixing it and cheaper since I have a spare one.,
I already took of exhaust completly so far no problems. O2s came out fine too, since I had the engine and tranny swapped from another car,both from one car, with 135k,which gets me confused why it would die on me,with new gear oil,
Any thoughts?
Will keep uptodate on this. Hopefully will be running tomorrow if not today
I found a great write up, really handy,ill post link when I get home,
any more tips?
Once again thanks guys!

Quick Reply: audi a4 transmisson wont go in reverse (manual)!