A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Audi A4 vs. Volvo S40

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-1999, 02:44 PM
Tom

Default Audi A4 vs. Volvo S40

Hi,<br>I found out that Volvo is releasing a mid-size competitor to Audi A4.<br>Does anybody know how it compares (european tests etc) ?<br>BR<br>Tom
Old 02-25-1999, 03:19 PM
Graham

Default Re: Audi A4 vs. Volvo S40

S40 generally gets hosed by the A4 in terms of driving dynamics and handling. 200hp T4 is fast - in a straight line, in the dry. Dont try accelerating and steering at the same time in the wet, nor in the dry above 4k rpm when the boost really comes in. 161hp T is a more civilised though softer low blow version of the turbo.<p>An able if somewhat more staid competitor to the A4 in Fwd format - and a crack supertourer to boot. <p>Horses for courses so they say, and no quattro option.<p>Regards<p>Graham<p>1.8Tqm+bitz, Sydney, Aus
Old 02-25-1999, 03:59 PM
qt4lddht

Thanks for this, Graham
Old 02-25-1999, 04:02 PM
Chris Hlubb

Default Some quick interesting info

The Volvo S40 is actually a Mitsubishi, i found this out on my recent trip to Sweden. It is made along with the Mitsu Carisma in the Netherlands. The interior, engine, turbo and transmission are all Mitsu products and bare a striking resemblance to the Carisma. The T4 is kinda fast though. Thats all I know for now, didnt have a chance to drive one but it will be here this fall.<br>Chris
Old 02-25-1999, 04:14 PM
vic

It's seen as a first attempt for Volvo to inject some style into their car and look is quite alright (actually the only Volvo that I will consider). Very fast in T4 guise, but dynamically very much inferior to the Germans. Just don't take it out when it's raining as you can imagine 200 horses trying to get out through the front wheel...
Old 02-25-1999, 05:06 PM
Bob V

Default Few more impressions of S40/V40/T40 - not really A4 competition

Word is the 40 series Volvos will come to these shores. I Just returned Nov 98 from Naples, Italy after a couple years stationed with U.S. Navy. The S40 & V40 is plentiful there and I had a look at a few of them but didn't drive any. Styling has Mitsubishi influence, a lot of the generic Japanese/Korean smooth shape. But it still kinda looks like a Volvo. The V40 has a sloping rear window, not all like the V70 box shape. I believe only the T40 could have any slight comparison with the Audi A4 but it's mostly a straight line rocket as described in previous posts. I'm sure the suspension is not at the same sophistication level of the A4.
Old 02-25-1999, 08:00 PM
MSM

Default If this is a Mitsu product the reliability will be way below Volvo's standards.....

I ownd an Eclips GSX. What a piece of junk!!<br>In the three years I own it I took maticulous care <br>of it and still had to replace:<br>2 engines!!!<br>6 rotors<br>4 fuel injectors<br>and just about everything else. I got suckered in <br>by all that hp. what a mistake. <br>My mom had a Mitsu Galant.<br>Same deal without the two engine replacement.<br>If Mitsu in supplying the parts this is going to be<br>one sour Volvo.<br>Mark
Old 02-25-1999, 09:32 PM
Tom

Default If you really want a Swedish compact sports sedan, get the Saab 9-3 instead

Many of the European magazines slammed on Volvo S40's floaty handling. They criticized it as being too soft for a car with so much horsepower and torque. Even though its a pretty nice looking car for a Volvo, its a no-match for an A4 or E46 in terms of polish, handling and refinement.<br>In the recent issue of Hong Kong's Car and Driver's best handling sports sedan comparison test, the S40 T4 finishes dead last because of its excessive torque steer and soft suspension for a high powered car. Here's the rating: 5) Volvo S40 T4, 4) Peugeot 406 SV 3.0, 3) BMW 328 Sport 2) Audi A4 2.8QAS 1) Alfa 156 2.5 V6<br>If you really want a sports sedan in a Swedish flavour, get the Saab 9-3, especially the HOT version. The 9-3 is head and shoulder above the uninspiring 94-98 NG 900. It have a lot of improvements on ride/handling, quality of finishing and overall refinement. Its a car with attitude! There's a more powerful version of the 9-3 called the Viggen will be coming in the future. Saab means strong FWD handling and refine turbocharged engines. I will take the 9-3 over any S40 any days, but I will take A4 over any other sports sedans any day either!<br>Tom<br>97 A4 1.8TQMS<br>99 JETTA GLS 2.0
Old 02-26-1999, 06:52 AM
KJ

I have watched the S40 racing against the A4 several times on SpeedVision and they are neck and neck, if that transfers to the "street" cars it will be quite a competitor (if you can stand telling your friends you drive a VOLVO ;-)
Old 02-26-1999, 02:03 PM
Steve R.

Default Saw an S40 and V40 at Chicago auto show

IMO these will be competition for the A4. I thought they looked reasonably stylish, especially for a Volvo, and bore a strong resemblence to a shrunken S80.<p>The Volvo rep told me they will be available Fall '99 and will initially only be available with an auto tranny and a light pressure turbo producing 160hp. He expects them to be priced in the mid $20's. I am 6'3" and found the cabin to be much more cramped than an A4. Heated leather seats and an in dash CD were included on the cars at the show.

Quick Reply: Audi A4 vs. Volvo S40