A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

audi driveshaft kit: trouble with install

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audi driveshaft kit: trouble with install

Ok so instead of buying a new driveshaft i purchased the kit from blauparts.com which cost me $400 which was much less than a $2000 driveshaft. We took precaution when we took the driveshaft out to make sure to mark the location exact to how it was installed in the car. I was wondering if anyone had any how to or tech articles on the install of this kit. The kit gives you both new cv joints, new universal join, new center support bearing and all the hardware to install it. I have the drive shaft out but am having trouble removing the outer cv joints on both ends. Any helpful tech article would help or if anyone has tackled this job before any pointers would be greatly appreciated. It is for a 96 audi a4 quattro. Also found out that for some reason my car has an origional audi carbon fiber driveshaft. Anyone hear of audi doing this or if it was a special order for the factory?
Old 02-27-2013, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default driveshaft kit

Originally Posted by harryb5a4
Ok so instead of buying a new driveshaft i purchased the kit from blauparts.com which cost me $400 which was much less than a $2000 driveshaft. We took precaution when we took the driveshaft out to make sure to mark the location exact to how it was installed in the car. I was wondering if anyone had any how to or tech articles on the install of this kit. The kit gives you both new cv joints, new universal join, new center support bearing and all the hardware to install it. I have the drive shaft out but am having trouble removing the outer cv joints on both ends. Any helpful tech article would help or if anyone has tackled this job before any pointers would be greatly appreciated. It is for a 96 audi a4 quattro. Also found out that for some reason my car has an origional audi carbon fiber driveshaft. Anyone hear of audi doing this or if it was a special order for the factory?
I just went through the same process but I did not buy the Blau kit. I called them to inquire about instructions and they sort of blew me off saying it was easy. I bought a complete rebuilt and balanced shaft.

If I were you I would return the kit to Blau and buy a rebuilt, $450, or a one piece replacement. You'll never get it to balance properly IMHO.

Here's the rebuild outfit. http://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/...rive_Shaft.php

Last edited by Huskerbob; 02-27-2013 at 03:04 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

well i would return the kit but it was special order and no refunds......guess im stuck doing it myself i thought about now since i have the drive shaft out taking the kit to a driveshaft shop and let them install and rebalance the driveshaft.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default drive shaft rebuild

well i would return the kit but it was special order and no refunds......guess im stuck doing it myself i thought about now since i have the drive shaft out taking the kit to a drive shaft shop and let them install and rebalance the drive shaft.
Blau usually provides great instructions but in this case I guess not. If you can find a shop to do the work that would be best.

Your biggest problem area will be the center support. Getting that back exactly like it was will take some effort. There should have been bushings between the bracket and the body to get the shaft lined up but the new center bracket may be different than the one you took off. Compare those so you know. It may mean different bushings.

I got both ends bolted up and then let the center bracket float on the 2 bolts. I got them finger tight and then started it up and let it spin, all 4 wheels off the ground, and the bracket sort of found it's correct position fore and aft and side to side. Tightened it up and test drove it. Still had a little buzz so repeated the process and now it's all good.

Good luck.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Also found out that for some reason my car has an origional audi carbon fiber driveshaft. Anyone hear of audi doing this or if it was a special order for the factory?
Is yours a 96? I believe they only did the carbon fiber in 96.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The blau kit sucks. Return it and go with this. They even balance the rebuilds at 3500 rpm.

For your vehicle;

http://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/...shaft_1996.php

I had this brand of shaft installed at the same time as a rebuilt manual transmission, new K04, and a new South Bend stage 3 kevlar clutch.

Last edited by M.S.G.; 02-28-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mtroxel
Is yours a 96? I believe they only did the carbon fiber in 96.
Yes it is a 96. Has the big license plate for the euro plate on the trunk too. Along with that dumb stubby mirror on the passenger side.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes it is a 96. Has the big license plate for the euro plate on the trunk too. Along with that dumb stubby mirror on the passenger side.
Have you found a shop to do the work?