A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Audi Langan East in Latham, NY not mod friendly...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2001, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Langan East in Latham, NY not mod friendly...

I was in researching parts and chatted with one of the service guys and asked what he thought about mods. He said that they stress the engine and that I would have to pay for any work done. I told him I have a borla and he said that should be ok and specifically pointed out larger turbos and chips. I don't know if he was just giving me the corporate line or if he was serious.
Old 01-16-2001, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Really?...

I had my 10k mile service done there, and one of the guys asked if I chipped. I said yes, and he said "how do you like it?". I told him the glory of APR, and he told me he knows alot of guys that do that, and they all love it. Not one bad thing was said about modding. Maybe that's because I didn't buy from them, so it's really not thier 'problem'.
Old 01-16-2001, 05:37 AM

Default I've had a couple of talks with the head of service there...

and he said he has no problems with it until there is a problema and if the mod caused it, then you pay. he is right it does stress the engine, but so does stock. When you get into larger turbos, well thats a whole new ball game and after that point, as long as you can prove that the mod didnt cause the damagem, then you're fine
Old 01-16-2001, 05:46 AM

Default I go to west in schenectady, and while

the service manager is soft-spoken on the issue, and doesn't really have a positive or negative reaction, the salesman I worked with is way into it. Every time I go in for service he asks if I've chipped yet, and I say no, but he acts(jokingly), like he doesn't believe me. When I bought the car, he was talking about all sorts of stuff way beyond chips, he even said "you can twin turbo it", which we all know is far-fetched. I think they take the normal, proper stance of a dealer. Warranty can only be denied if mods are proved to have caused the problem. Also, I don't think they would try to instantly blame an engine problem on a chip, etc... because my family is 3 time repeat customers, and why would they want to alienate us like that? I don't really worry about it, because I'm waiting until the rapidly approaching 50k mark to do anything serious to the engine, and hopefully by that time I'll have a back-up beater as well.
Old 01-16-2001, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The local dear here actually has a motorsport garage in house. Mods galore.
Old 01-16-2001, 05:56 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default How do you define "mod friendly"?

I would say that he gave you a reasonable answer. If your mod caused the problem, you should pay to have it fixed.

My dealer seems to be sitting on a fence. I asked about aftermarket dustless brake pads, and one guy tells me "no way, it's not factory". I asked about the Red Box euro spec pads...same response. They know I have a chip, and it seems to be a don't ask don't tell sort of relationship.

The dealers that I would classify as *not* mod friendly are the one's who refuse to do any work because you modified the car, or the one's who point the finger at the mods before they start diagnosing the problems. They are ignorant and dangerous.

My $0.02.
Old 01-16-2001, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I see what your saying...

Like I clerified it was just a little chat I had. I didn't probe further. A red flag went up when he said the ecu. So when something goes wrong with the injectors, is it the computer's fault?
Old 01-16-2001, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I am actually in Schenectady..

and bought from Latham for no good reason. I might actually get service in Schenectady. I did start to worry when he said ecu. That whole area of cause and effect is so subjective.
Old 01-16-2001, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

How do you prove a chip didn't do damage?
Old 01-16-2001, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default He was very into to mods, but...

he said that chips were not covered. He could have meant if the ecu goes bad then I pay. I just wondered if he meant if a computer controlled component goes bad then I will pay.

He liked my RS4 grill and borla.

Quick Reply: Audi Langan East in Latham, NY not mod friendly...