A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Audi Roadside Service Nightmare!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-1999, 07:58 AM
Noel

Default Audi Roadside Service Nightmare!!!!!

Had the unfortunate luck of getting a flat tire on memorial day. Luckily my A4 comes with 24 hour roadside assitance (dispatched towing company)!!!! Not...when the tow truck came to replace the flat tire with the measly little spare the roadside service "technician" put the spare on my car with my aftermarket lugnuts, not the spare lug nuts. When I tried driving off my car would not move. I called service agian and they sent out a differet tow truck with a different driver to tow my car...immediately he recognized the mistake the initial driver had made. He did not put the proper lug nuts on the spare, thus damaging my front brakes.<p>The Audi dealership told me that their Audi Service Rep would not cover the damage because I have aftermarket wheels!!!!! This has nothing to do with my aftermarket wheels!!!!! First of all, I followed protocol and called Audi Roadside Service to have my tire and wheel changed. I did not put the wrong lug nuts on the spare.<p>Secondly, the second tow truck driver immediately identified what the problem was and that the car should have been towed rather than putting the wrong lug nuts on.<p>I am awaiting the Audi Service Reps call...I need your input as to how I should handle this with Audi. I do not feel I should have to pay $500 for a mistake the Roadside Service people made. I understand Audi Roadside Service is dispatched...but shouldn't the towing companies know how to properly change a spare. All advice is appreciated.
Old 06-02-1999, 08:07 AM
Roy M

Default Very sorry to hear about your problem BUT......

It has been posted many times if you have aftermarket wheels you MUST keep 5 stock bolts for use with the spare. We must all take note to add this to our tool kit.<br>Again I'm sorry for your problem but I won't comment on who is responsible for this damage.<br>Roy M
Old 06-02-1999, 08:38 AM
Doh Simpson

Default You really should have know better. why wait for someone else to change your tire, is that too difficult a chore for you???

dd
Old 06-02-1999, 08:38 AM
V

Default Re: Why don't you learn how to change tyres yourself? Save yourself the time & trouble...

Having to wait a few hours or more, especially on a holiday, for the roadside service is not worth it for just a flat tyre. It's very easy to do and directions are even in the manual....<br>unless you're afraid to break a nail or get your hands all dirty )<p>
Old 06-02-1999, 08:49 AM
Jon

Sorry. It has nothing to do with Audi. And it is easy to change a tire (unless you physically can't).
Old 06-02-1999, 09:13 AM
tjj

Default Lug Nut Spares?? Why?

I purchased a used A6 which has BBS rims.<p>I can change a tire, but am not familiar with why the lug nuts have an effect.<p>Could someone explain what happens? (are they too short?)<p>Thanks
Old 06-02-1999, 09:42 AM
JC

Default Lug nuts? I thought A4's use lug bolts?

<br>hfgfg
Old 06-02-1999, 10:06 AM
CK

Default OK, we grasp the obvious now...

<br>I'm sure that the poor guy/gal already realized that it would have been much easier to try and fix the flat himself/herself. Stating that "tire changes are easy" doesn't add much value to the current discussion. Besides, the driver could have been the crew chief for a race team (who know's?) and made the decision to not chance the tire change himself/herself because of a narrow shoulder and crazy/drunk memorial day traffic. Or maybe the lugs were tightened with an impact wrench and required more than your "emergency" hardware to loosen. OK, I'll stop rambling now.<p>-CK<br>99.5 2.8qms<br>Santorin/Onyx<br>(coming monday)
Old 06-02-1999, 11:09 AM
DaveN

Default A lot of after market wheels are thicker on the mounting plate and require longer bolts...

and when used with the spare those longer bolts interfere with the hub, locking the wheel in place.
Old 06-02-1999, 11:14 AM
Jon

Default Yes, you are right. This is the type of situation ...

where you have to chalk the $500 up to "I learned something." I screwed up my '87 by allowing the dealer repairing my stolen car to put spacers on instead of sending the wheels that didn't fit back to Tire Rack. Cost me a few hundred, so I learned about checking for fit. This A4 owner has now learned about aftermarket lug bolts and spare tires, and will do his best to help those who don't know. You're right, easy for one person isn't easy for another.<p>Jon<br>'96 A4qs

Quick Reply: Audi Roadside Service Nightmare!!!!!